Author Topic: Brilliant Hondaman Thead  (Read 987 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Brilliant Hondaman Thead
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »
Well I got my Tax SA filed at 11.55PM last night, so time to relax a bit now and get on with the bikes.

Sh*tty weather outside, so spend the last hour with a cuppa reading this brilliant thread from Hondaman on the USA site on the rebuild of his CB750 engine, with lots of factory history.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=122379.75

In it, a guy confirmed my thoughts on chemicals to pre-etch aluminium to get paint to adhere. gonna get me some chromic acid (I know it's nasty stuff BTW before someone chips in but I have access to a lab fume cupboard). 

'Orcadian' Do you remember what they used at BA in Brough, when you worked there?

"Chromic as you probably know has sulfuric acid and a dichromate salt.
It's the recommended thing for aluminium being prepped for paint (organic). In the aircraft industry we usually refer to it by the trade name "Alodine". Such as Alodine 1201. (Gives the aluminium a yellow color btw)"

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Brilliant Hondaman Thead
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
Hi Ash,
Yes I remember the process and the yellow/green colour it produced, unfortunately I don't immediately recognise the name alodine but that's not say it isn't correct.  As you know we used all kinds of nasty chemicals at the factory back then.  I well remember the heated trichlorethylene bath which was great if you had a cold - didn't half clear your head!!  No wonder my brain's addled now!!  Bondaprimer is great as an etch for aluminium, but I use Upol acid 8 etch in spray cans these days.  You might get that from that paint place in Courtney Street. (APS, I think) Talking of nasty stuff, what's happened to Nitromors? bleedin useless for car and bike stuff now, might as well pee on it these days.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal