Author Topic: These 12mm nuts are driving me Nuts  (Read 3544 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
These 12mm nuts are driving me Nuts
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
Where the hell do you get new nuts BZP 12mm hex head /M8 coarse thread, as used on Honda's, (13 mm hex head you can get a bucket load for for next to nothing).

I am getting all of my fasteners together to re-plate for 3 bikes but no way am I faffing about re-plating individual nuts.

Here is my survey of what's available:-

DSS --66p each
 inc. VAT

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_94002080000S/

CMSNL       0.50 Euro plus everything else

http://www.cmsnl.com/search/partnumber.php?spbpbrand=&spbppartnumberHOpart=&spbppartnumberHOmodel=&spbppartnumberHOext=&spbppartnumberSUpart=&spbppartnumberSUmodel=&spbppartnumberSUext=&spbppartnumberYAmodel=&spbppartnumberYApart=&spbppartnumberYAext=&spbppartnumber=94002080000S&spbpmodelcode=

Yamiya ... 0.29 euro plus ever thing else     (that's not too bad I suppose --- wonder how much from Saisei ...will ask)

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=158_159&products_id=1849

Or is there a source from a fastener supplier? I asked Graham (Trigger) and he can't find em either.

BTW if you order a single nut from CMS it comes out at 17 Euros including shipping etc !

Ash

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:24:02 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: These 12mm nuts are driving me Nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
Sorry Ash also looked at all the people I use and all unavailable.Where do they go mate might have some?
Cheers
Ralph
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
Sorry Ash also looked at all the people I use and all unavailable.Where do they go mate might have some?
Cheers
Ralph

I am not being tight and I will probably get Saisei to get me some, it's just the disparity in pricing. Did the other big four use them too. I did have a Kwak KZ650B1 once but I can't remember what it had on it for M8 nuts.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »
Ash
Where do they go mate????????????? ;) ;)
Cheers
Ralph
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
They go on various places on the 750 and twins. e.g engine plate bolts on 250k etc

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
I think Kwaks have them too, along with some older Jap 4x4s as I have a few from these sources. I personally am not overly fussed on most of my bikes as long as it isn't a mix of 13 and 12mm fastners on one job - eg taking the engine out, though I think when (if) I rebuild the k0 I might be more dicerning. I shall keep my eyes peeled for a supplier as I know other kit on the farm uses them and once identified i might be able to find a potentially cheaper resource (I am thinking Husqivarna chainsaws might be the first thing I would look at when I get a chance to shed rummage)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
Hi All,
        Although the 13mm A/F is the isometric standard, the Japs dropped to 12mm A/F to save weight and materials during WW2----Ken
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
There are a few "non ISO Standard" sizes used on Hondas because they were metric before ISO got involved.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
I used to have thousands of these nuts. Honda used them on the packing crates, inside the bike was bolted to a steel frame, the frame was held together using these nuts, I had so many of them I used to throw them away all the time. I seem to recall I left them all when I left Queens Park Motors.

The ones I had were the 12mm shouldered nut variety not the plain nut type, I may have some left in my bolt boxes though.

It's OK I need the non shouldered ones but thanks for the offer to look. Didn't realize  you actually worked at QPM? How come you missed out on the unregistered 750K0 frame they had in there, that a man in York tells me he's built a full bike based on, mainly from NOS parts. He told me that he took a bank loan out and bought their parts stock when they closed. Never actually seen the bike though.

The storeman where I work now part-time  used to work for Bob Allport's in Thorne. He reckoned when they closed they had massive stocks of Honda parts  and they had lots of Genuine Goldwing exhaust systems that were auctioned off for next to nothing.

Ash.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:32:58 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »
One could set up a jig to take 13mm nuts down to 12, but the men in white coats might come for us. - it is something I have resorted to in the past using a bench linisher,  purely  to avoid having to wait for new parts when the old ones are a bit rounded - town is 20 miles away, and sometimes my only way to get there is the bike I am trying to fix.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Do you know any more of the history of them breaking a 1970 750K0 out of the crate then Oddjob? Presumably that's where the frame came from, as the guy in York  told me that it is VIN number stamped so not NOS.

Ash

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:39 AM »
Just found:-

http://www.stainlessautomotivefastenings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_22

Doesn't look cheap but they are stainless and assorted types
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:59:43 AM by Bryanj »

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »
Just found:-

http://www.stainlessautomotivefastenings.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_22

Doesn't look cheap but they are stainless and assorted types
I can't remember the supplier but I have bought new 12mm nuts off eBay in the past.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal