Author Topic: Calling the electricians: I've got no power!  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
Calling the electricians: I've got no power!
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »
Hi all, especially those of you who like electrics.

I was hoping to attach the battery and turn the engine over a few times on the starter motor (I even have a car battery ready to support the plan). However, I attached the battery, turned the key and nothing happened. So here's what I've done so far (with my rudimentary knowledge of wiring diagrams and multi-tester usage):

1. Battery is relatively new, recently charged and showing 12+volts on the tester.
2. The starter solenoid is live at the point where it's connected to the battery.
3. I removed the block connected to the ignition key under the headstock: every terminal is dead.
4. I have jammed my tester into every wire (especially red ones) and terminal block that I can locate and they're all dead.
5. There's a 2-pin male block connector with red wires as part of my new wiring loom, but no female connector as far as I can tell (you can see it on the photo below on the left above the shiny starter motor cover). I can't see an equivalent on my old loom. What should this be connected to?

I've probably missed something obvious and will be delighted if you can point that out to me!

Thank you,

D.

Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Calling the electricians: I've got no power!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Maybe a silly question, but is the fusebox plugged in securely? Are the fuses, especially the 15 amp main fuse, check them with a meter, not just look at them!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
All questions, silly or otherwise, appreciated.

I will test the fuses properly as you suggest. That said, they were working before I started stripping the bike.

I did separate the block connected to the fuses as part of my 'jamming the tester in every wire' process and could find no voltage in any of the connectors.

Thank you again,

D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline Eyeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
that all looks very shiny, as in, powder coated type shiny. Do you have a) a good earth and b) preferably an abundance of them? I'd buzz out the earth strap as the very first thing you do. A complete absence of power means that the fundamental circuit hasn't been made.

I quite like electrical faults, as long as I'm in the mood; its like a jigsaw puzzle, therapeutic!

Cheers

ATG
Paul
Follow my witter on Twitter!
 @classicrider

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »
Love electrics the only problem and no use to you is I could fix it quicker than write about it sorry
Check fuses,check earths follow the 12v up the line reds and blacks when you get 12v at the main switch your half way there.If I recall right the blacks have 12v only when ign is on so get the 12v up to the switch
All the best Bitsa
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:57:49 PM by Bitsa »
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
See if there is power on one of the wires in the mystery block and if so does the other go to the ignition switch If yes to both something should go in there to connect the two

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
Hi all, much appreciated.

Not sure what buzz out means, but I'm pretty sure the earth is good and all checkable of course.

Mystery block is dead, like everything else... I'm surprised it's a mystery to you guys too (I wondered if it's a USA spec fitting or some such (e.g. a side stand or clutch cut-out switch, maybe?)). Question for DSS perhaps. Thinking about it, the mystery block is male and so I'd expect the power to be in the (missing) female part (as usual, eh guys?!!!!!... ladies, that's a compliment!).

Nothing has been powder-coated, but I take your point about anything getting in the way of a good connection.... nothing that a wire brushing can't sort out, eh?

If I can't sort this out soon, I'll seek local expert advice (which I guess rules you out Bitsa!).

Cheers all,

D.

Offline Frisky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
Hi Drew,

I've just been through this a few weeks ago with my 400/4 so here's what I would check:

- battery earth must be good to frame and needs paint removing if its freshly powder coated
- you need +12V on the red lead at the ignition switch cable block, this comes directly from the battery via the stater solenoid through a 2-pin red/red-white connector, through the fuse box and then to the ignition switch.
- if you don't get +12V here then you need to trace back via the fuse box (15A fuse) then the 2 pin connector and finally the starter solenoid connection; you must have continuity along this red wire to the ignition switch - if not then it will never go!
- once you have +12V here, then connect the 6-pin block back up to the ignition switch and when you turn the key, your neutral and Oil pressure light should come on.

It sounds like the 2-pin connector that you mentioned is the most likely culprit. This needs connecting to the starter solenoid. On mine,there was a small sub-loom with an eyelet on the solenoid end and the female part of the 2-pin connector on the other end, just 2 wires, red and red/white - without this, there is no +12V feed from the battery to anywhere other than the solenoid.

Good hunting!!

Frisky

Offline Frisky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »
Hi Drew,

Just scanned your photo again and it looks like you are missing a fuse or two and that sub-loom I spoke about in my earlier post.

This seems like such a simple fix, but if you ain't used to electrics then it can seem very daunting.

PM me with a moby number and I'll talk you throughout if you want - it should be easy!!

Frisky

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »
Hi Drew,

Agree with Frisky.. 

The 400F has 3 fuses; Main 15A plus Head & Tail lamps. (7A each)

I think you might have mislaid (!) the female half of the 2 pin block connector .... the mini-loom that connects the large +ve  battery post of the starter solenoid to the main bike loom.... ie that hanging loose 2 pin connector.

If it is not in place, and you've lost it, simply take a foot of (red / 15A wire) and to each end crimp / solder female (I think) QUALITY spade connectors. Then fold it in half, carefully cut away (midpoint)  3/4" of insulation & inset / solder / solidly crimp this into an eye connector .... & secure onto the battery post of the starter solenoid. Plug those two (female?) spades into your free-floating block connector - and ensure those two female spades are absolutely insulated from possibly touching anything else. (This block connector should by the way, secure into a frame clip below the starter solenoid area.)

The wiring diagram a great help & gratefully stolen from Bodd; the pic my 400F which shows that block connector going up to the solenoid / battery. (follow the RH (black sheathed) wire from the starter solenoid down)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:46:47 PM by Lobo »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:06:05 PM »
Hi all, much appreciated.

Not sure what buzz out means, but I'm pretty sure the earth is good and all checkable of course.

Mystery block is dead, like everything else... I'm surprised it's a mystery to you guys too (I wondered if it's a USA spec fitting or some such (e.g. a side stand or clutch cut-out switch, maybe?)). Question for DSS perhaps. Thinking about it, the mystery block is male and so I'd expect the power to be in the (missing) female part (as usual, eh guys?!!!!!... ladies, that's a compliment!).

Nothing has been powder-coated, but I take your point about anything getting in the way of a good connection.... nothing that a wire brushing can't sort out, eh?

If I can't sort this out soon, I'll seek local expert advice (which I guess rules you out Bitsa!).

Cheers all,

D.

;D ;D ;D Taken as a complement Drew
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
Thanks again all,

I think you might have nailed it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to look again until next weekend. PM option much appreciated Frisky.

Cheers,

D.

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »
Hello again,

Having sourced a solenoid-to-loom cable from Steve at 400fourbits, I have today connected everything back up with mixed results:

1. When I switch on the ignition there are no warning lights.
2. The front pilot light, tail light and rear brake lights work.
3. The dip/main beam and indicators don't work.
4. The engine turns over on the starter motor and there are sparks at the plugs.

In the next few days I will have a look inside the headlight, etc. to see if I am missing some connections. There's definitely a few missing connections in the bulk grouping near the headstock under the tank. I assume that one or two of them will be for the horn that I haven't yet put back on the bike.

My only question for now: there is a green wire coming from the new DSS loom with a loop connector on the end. It emerges from the main loom behind the carbs and is about 8' long. I guess it's designed to go to earth (frame) but I'm reluctant to earth things if I'm unsure! Does anyone know what this wire should be connected to, please?

Thank you,

D.

p.s. Sorry I haven't attached a photo... (temporary, I hope) camera problem!

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
Green is earth on our bikes. Having a ring on it confirms this. Some bikes had an earth on the rectifier, this seems positioned in the right place for that.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 07:24:24 PM »
Bolts on at a coil mount but make sure there is no paint/powdercoat where it connects or you can melt the loom, same goes for where the main earth goes to an engine mount/frame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal