Author Topic: cam chain tesioner  (Read 3189 times)

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
cam chain tesioner
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Hello,
I'm slowly putting my engine together. 
I wonder how important is rubber/plastic tube in which spring for cam chain tensioner.

Just fixed my tensioner by bending ever so slightly teeth on the adjustment bit and realized that the part opposite adjustment screw was loose and that made teeth jumping over.
There is a bit of wear on the teeth but not on the screw, I think it will be fine.
My only concern is the tube in which spring seats, mine was cracked and while pulling it apart it broke as it was brittle.
Do I need to find replacement?

Thanks
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: cam chain tesioner
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
Hello,
I'm slowly putting my engine together. 
I wonder how important is rubber/plastic tube in which spring for cam chain tensioner.

Just fixed my tensioner by bending ever so slightly teeth on the adjustment bit and realized that the part opposite adjustment screw was loose and that made teeth jumping over.
There is a bit of wear on the teeth but not on the screw, I think it will be fine.
My only concern is the tube in which spring seats, mine was cracked and while pulling it apart it broke as it was brittle.
Do I need to find replacement?

Thanks
That's exactly what the problem was on my tensioner,  and fixed the same way.  Unfortunately I have no insight on how important that rubber tube is, luckily mine remained intact.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
Hahahah
MrT seems like we are working along same path, I cant wait to see your build, it is going to be ACE plus you are the closest to me (I think)
I'm hoping to get my valve guide sorted this week, actually just about to go and chase it up.

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
Indeed, seems like we're running parallel, you're just a year ahead of me!  I'm picking up my head tonight, had the valve seats cut, and they are smoothing the flow in my intake and exhaust ports as well. As there was some poor casting in one of the exhaust ports and they were willing to do the whole job for the same price.  Will post some pics tonight.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
Nice, I just find out that my head will not be ready for a while yet...
Interesting what you saying about smoothing out the flow, I was under impression that it is good to have a rough intake, someone made a point that rough surface helps mixing mixture, I wonder if its right.
Cant wait for pictures.
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:02 AM »
Interesting what you saying about smoothing out the flow, I was under impression that it is good to have a rough intake, someone made a point that rough surface helps mixing mixture, I wonder if its right.
Cant wait for pictures.

I think adequate mixing would likely happen regardless of flow pattern, but again, I'm no engineer, just a newbie on a forum hoping to end up with a bike that runs!  :)

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »
Oddjob, getting that spring with rubber or just rubber would be nice, think it has to be a reason for it, so would like to use it.
Please let me know when you find it.
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
Yep running bike is what I need!

Cant wait for pictures.

I think adequate mixing would likely happen regardless of flow pattern, but again, I'm no engineer, just a newbie on a forum hoping to end up with a bike that runs!  :)
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »
I'm in no rush.
Thanks

Just had a quick look and no luck yet. I'm 99% sure I'd have removed the spring before binning the rest of it, the adjusting screw was sheared and that part as you've no doubt spotted looks to be very hard to remove so I'd have just binned the rest of it.
I have another location to search but it's blocked off at the moment as I'm flooring the loft this week and all the wood is right in front of that location, as soon as the wood pile reduces I should be able to get to it and have a look. Unlike me, I'd have kept all the parts together in a plastic bag so I'd expect to see the spring, the blade and the cush rubbers in one bag, not spotted anything remotely like that.

On a good note, found a 500 front caliper minus piston, complete with arm, arm moves freely and best of all the bleed nipple is nice and free and has never been attacked by ham fisted amateurs. Might E-Bay that and see if it sells.
Honda CB550F 1976

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal