Author Topic: Connecting rods  (Read 2412 times)

Offline hondaking

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Connecting rods
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »
Hi every one
Well I think I have all the parts I need to rebuild the engine I will be using for teaching others how to strip and re assy an engine in my new venture. Some of you may know what I am about to do that is to teach some younger bikers around my area how to maintain there bikes. This I will be doing FOC and I feel its time I gave something back to others. Now I have a question. Which way round do the connecting rods go in the engine I cannot find it in the workshop manual. Do they go with the rod weight forward or the journal size forward. a BIG thanks to Ash for sending me the only part I was missing.

Ron

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting rods
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »
Please see these old service bulletins Ron. great info for teaching your 'students'. Plus these Videos.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Also these You Tube videos .. wish the bugger would stop rattling the con-rods against the cases though. Contrary to what he says I am re-using con rod bolts 'cos two old sages on here said I can and they are two members who have far more experience than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2iWfWFRnJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrFK8x-DUVY

ALSO  Let me know if you can't download my Service manual link (Dropbox below) and I will post you a DVD with it all on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf?dl=0

Also if you look at this image it shown the conrod weight markings and hence the orientation [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

cheers  ... Ash

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:57:13 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
Started watching the video, brilliant , when he is taking it through the gears at 2min 10 he goes in to 6th gear lol, mine only have 5 ,

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
Looking at his plastic gauge reading if i were him i would of used a magnify glass and get it spot, on to me it looked like he guessed the width to thin
Thanks ash form the links i just love watching this stuff
I dont agree with the changing of the con rod bolts , i would always reuse, i think they are specially hardened and the whole stretch thing is not as bad as he says, lets face it most of us who have built engines have reused the bolts with no bad effects, the same goes for the cylinder studs although i wonder about reusing them if the have been twisted alot when removing, the trouble with aftermarket ape studs is they rust as they are not zinc coated and original honda are not available
pete

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
i'll watch for the 6th gear bit tonight Pete
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
Looking at his plastic gauge reading if i were him i would of used a magnify glass and get it spot, on to me it looked like he guessed the width to thin
Thanks ash form the links i just love watching this stuff
I dont agree with the changing of the con rod bolts , i would always reuse, i think they are specially hardened and the whole stretch thing is not as bad as he says, lets face it most of us who have built engines have reused the bolts with no bad effects, the same goes for the cylinder studs although i wonder about reusing them if the have been twisted alot when removing, the trouble with aftermarket ape studs is they rust as they are not zinc coated and original honda are not available
pete

Yea Pete , I reckon those shells could have been  OK and he misread the Plastigage reading. It's easy to criticize though but stuff like this is invaluable ( like the wheel rebuilding ones) and someone has taken the time to video it all for our enjoyment. I keep having a debate with a colleague about the best classic car resto programme but I still reckon Ed China is the best. OK he reuses old bolts etc but he seems to have a go at anything. The car SOS rescue one had one decent guy on it and then this James Mayesque type lookalike who just acts the fool all of the time. I hate it when these programmes do the Blue Peter trick and suddenly show you a totally rebuilt engine (one I prepared earlier !)  without showing you any of the processes involved.
AND when is there going to be one on bikes.. suppose the closest you get is the Cafe Racer one, after 'A Bike is Reborn' which did a Bonnie and HD I remember but yonks ago. We want ' A Sandcast is Reborn' ..... Preferrably a Candy Green one ;)

Watch this guy too (an Anthony Hopkins lookalike) .. Definitely a man after my own heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trrVeix0nS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79S-FuWLto

Ash
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:24:18 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
just been watching , he is a  Anthony Hopkins lookalike thaats for sure, great  links again ash

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal