Author Topic: Ebay purchase - help & advise pls  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay purchase - help & advise pls
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »

Very glad to read he'll have to pay ebay regardless... 15% is it?... a tidy sum as you say Peter. I too saw the previous negative feedbacks.... and just hope ebay give me enough character spaces to fully 'do my worst'. And thanks Bryan, will stick to facts rather than being emotive.

I'll wait until the deposit is back in my bank, and then complain to ebay / write a few choice words for his future clients to see.

Ho hum...
Simon

Sadly it won't cost him that much as eBay Motors fees are under a different structure - £10 to list as an auction then only 1% of final value. No justice.

Just make sure you use the meagre 80 characters you get for feedback wisely, once you have your deposit back!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
Have had further thoughts on this...

Approx 2 yrs ago I saw this same SS50 on ebay at a buy-it-now price; it was one of a stable of restored mopeds. (Gilera, KTM... etc). The price was silly; £4500 or something. I did some research / sums & wrote that I was considering a 400F for £2500, but would prefer the moped if I could have it for this money... which I calculated was fair given the SS50 market. He declined, I said 'no worries' & wished him well on the sale.

Fast forward to now... same moped, same description... still another mint 'other' moped along side it. Ie, in 2 yrs it hasn't sold. So... my guess is the seller is not prepared to let it go at substantially less than what it has cost him. He can't admit to this given the no-reserve auction, and so had to come up with an alternate excuse.

Bottom line....I reckon we'll see it again in the future.

Simon

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 06:37:57 AM »
Bikes like that, which  don't sell for yonks, usually end up at Frank's ( Motorcycles Unlimited) in Greenford. God know what he buys them at and god knows what he actually sells them for. This happened with a CD175A sloper and the Gold JDM CB750K0 he has just 'sold' .

Why not join the SS50 forum if there is one Simon and ask on there if anyone knows the bike or knows of a minter for sale.

Have a go via eBay and then walk away as it's not worth working yourself up any more about it.

What ?  you would prefer an SS50 to a 400/4  :D

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »
Hah! Good point Ash, 400F or moped!!! Point is, my growing 'toy box' was always destined to have both..and the SS50 was a "I want that one" versus no specific 400F in my sights at that time.

I have indeed sought out a SS50 forum... basically inactive.

There appears to be another minter SS50 on ebay at £3500; it's been there a while: I might fish @ a lower offer after my imminent 2 week hol. (No Internet during this time... yay!)

Funny old thing; I was so nearly swayed to a Fizzy last month... there was a nice looking Popsical Purple one on ebay @ the same time.  So.. I joined the Fizzy Forum, and went straight to the introductions, explaining my age (!), how I was a basic Honda man... had had a SS50 @ 16 and got bored at being at the back of the pack! Ended with me saying I was preparing to be converted etc.
Not one bloody reply... miserable tw*ts.

On the plus side it helped make my mind up... and likely I'll stay a Honda dinosaur.

Simon

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 10:50:59 AM »
Yea other forums can be hostile places Simon!
Mind you 'bikepusher' probably thinks the same about us lot  ::)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:01:02 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
The good thing about ebay is that, in the round, things find their true market value. I guess no one can complain about that, but I feel it is aggressively driven to maximise its commission: if you are buying a specific item you cannot see what others who bought that item think about it - you only have the seller's reputation and they probably sell loads of stuff so it's not as good as Amazon, say, for general purchases.

As a tat bazaar - yes great. Selling motors/bikes - the hassle on an uncompleted deal is not so good; wild west.

bikepusher - clue is in the name: pusher
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »
Coronation St has nothing on this...

Today's development a shock... as my deposit still not returned. Wrote abrupt email saying "Give it back ASAP".... and have now had 3 very apologetic emails explaining that his business was caught in the middle with an owner who didn't want to sell etc etc - and that the sale would now go ahead despite the owner's reluctance because he didn't need the negative publicity. Wow - a different person.

Anyways, I'm told (!) that the V5 should appear relatively quickly, and am hoping for an early March delivery when back from our hols.

Buy hey... there's still tomorrow... plenty of time for more cock-ups...

Off on my hols....
Simon

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
Sounds fishy to me Simon and like he's trying to buy time. How long is it since the ebay transaction - you can't open a case / leave negative feedback as a result of a case once 30 days have passed form the date of sale on eBay from memory. Just tread carefully. Personally, I would just get your deposit back and move on....

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Thanks James... will look into this..
Simon

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
Translation: other customer has walked.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
Hi again James... feedback upto 60 days. One way or another it should be resolved by then.

Hi Tom... I stand by my 6:28am post today... ie I genuinely think the owner didn't want to let his bike go at a huge loss to himself. (and so concocted the lost V5 story)

Furthermore, the ebay seller, has (albeit slowly) come 'round to the fact that his business will suffer the most in all of this; and that being the fall-guy for his owner mate is not a great plan.

There is definitely a change of heart in today's emails... and being a trusting type of chap (!) I think genuine.  We'll see.

And again James, thanks for pointing out the timescale question.

Simon.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
No problems and best of luck with it...keep us posted. James.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
Yes Simon your explanation makes more sense. What a reserve is for.

Crackin' 'ped though. Best of luck!
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
Not a ped but this looks tidy

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C579449

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
Bloody ebay, i am getting the run around from a buyer, he bought an item and seems to be playing silly games with me , i could do without this sort of shit as a regard myself as a good honest seller
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal