Author Topic: Ebay purchase - help & advise pls  (Read 8103 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay purchase - help & advise pls
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
Not a ped but this looks tidy

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C579449
  That is a fantastic little bike, tax exempt AND it's an SOHC:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
Love it or Loathe it, ebay is pretty handy for both locating stuff at a realistically low used value and for getting a decent price for our expired tat, that is past for us at least, its usefull life. Before ebay if I wanted bits for my cb550, I was constrained to about 3 breakers who would admitt to owning such od stock and who knew how to charge or Dave silvers who whilst very usefull, isn't exactly cheap enough for someone runing an every day useage bike. I have overall saved thousands over the years sourcing various odds and sods off there up to and including cars, motorbikes and dumpers. I have however walked quite often from things that look to be grreat deals if the bidder history looks fishy, the hidden identity of bidders these days makes me more cautious, particualy high value stuff. I was bidding on a dumper and one chap was really running up the bidding, a look at his feedback initially wasn't suspicious, until I looked closer, he'd only ever bought anything expensive off the one seller - the one selling that dumper, and allother transcactions were for 99p bric a brack. I dropped out of the bidding and wasn't surprised when offered a second chance offer soon after the auction ended -no way I was going near it. I got bitten selling our last car, winning bidder was going to collect, but had to get something organised first, could I wait a bit - Ok I thought, contact was good and the chap seemed reasonable right up til day 30 after auction end, then he vanished - geuss what, you get 30 days to report a non paying bidder. After that you pay your ebay fees and cannot get them back. Luckily I re advertised and reached an 'off ebay' deal for just the engine an gearbox, so ebay got their fee off the first deal, and I sold most of the car at the right price, which was still more than a scraper would have given me. As a nice bonus I found out our worthy old 1.9tdi car engine is destined to go in a Ural motorbike. Overall most ebayers are dead tidy folk to deal with, you just need to be caarefull about the higher value transactions, that does seem to attract the con merchants for obvious reasons.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »
I love ebay, but every once in a while some f---er spoils it, there seems to be quite a few messers on it , i dont understand the people who bid and then decide they dont want it and go quiet , why?????????????????
pete

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:46 PM »
I am ashamed to admit it but a good mate of mine bought a cbr600 off ebay about a decade ago, and then realised he couldn't  afford the bike, the insurance or to collect it from Edinburgh. He was a good mate but what a dingus. I think he eventually came clean and admitted his sillyness to the seller, but the temptation to bid now, without doing your homework  if you find something ending soon can tempt people to overextended  themselfs. Personally I have carried through with every purchase, but I have given myself the odd, ' wish I hadn't  done that' moment when trying to organise the collection  of something massive like a dumper or forklift - especially as I don't drive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:11:18 PM by matthewmosse »
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 01:09:41 AM »
Update. (Not good!)

AND ANYONE LOOKING AT AN EBAY SS50 READ THIS.

Due timescales, a new pick-up date of the SS50 was agreed, Weds 04 March, ie 2 weeks after the first 'failed attempt'. Seller all charming now (relatively!) but would not give over his address / phone # 'til nearer the pick-up time'. Hmm. On the Monday he finally did, ... inc a phone number.

So, hired a van (was in Hampshire for just 01 days) and drove over to Crawly. The address a gutted cottage, next to a stone outbuilding. No one there; rang the mobile number, odd ring tone / no pick-up. Texted the #; got a reply, "10 minutes".

He arrived. Surly. Showed us into the outbuilding.... the SS50 very tired, rusted chrome in areas, lifting paint, bent pedal, small tear in seat.... I stopped looking after 30 seconds, it was crap. Luckily I had a mate...(witness)... and told him I'd not be buying the bike as nothing like the advert. He didn't seem bothered at all, and said, "No problem, we've been offered more for it anyway".

So, I queried when I'd get my (bank transfer) deposit back (£500).... he said, "as soon as I get your bank details I'll Internet it across" . We were in a building site... no Wifi...or else I'd have given him my iPad to get going on it..

As of today (Sat) still no cash, but 2 emails to my "where is it?" query blaming problems with his Lloyds bank.... "but it's coming as promised". Hmmm again.

But here's the jaw dropping bit, bearing in mind, from day #1, he's been saying that they've been offered a better price....
Unbelievable... folks, you've been warned... the ad has only minorly been changed - now he's at least admitting to small areas of rust. The no key prob is also new... likely best it's not started!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-SS-Fully-Restored-NO-RESERVE-/271796229216?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f48515460

Bottom line; I don't know what's going on.... whether it's a SS50 file photo + (bad) scam, or possibly the owner won't accept that his beloved restoration has rotted into crap. I saw this machine a couple of years back, and saw the V5 Weds... the old type. A bit of me wonders if the restored moped has sat in cold damp places too long, been shunted about (bent pedal etc) and just degraded.... which the owner won't acknowledge.  Anyways, run a mile...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:34:17 AM by Lobo »

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »
Just sounds like a scam. I reckon: one of us bids and tells the bloke we have no intention of buying. Is that a feedback risk? Don't think so. Happy to get the ball rolling  ;D
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »
What a bummer Simon !!... feel for you mate ... so disheartening. I remember when I was duped over a sandcast rear wheel by a guy in the States off EBay ... the guys on Hondachopper.com felt real  sorry for me and they offered  to get a posse together to ride over and sort the seller out... I diplomatically talked them out of it :D.

Ash
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:42:17 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Well Simon, not me, but I reckon my campaign idea is a go-er!
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
Hiya Tom.

Thanks. But unsure what your plan of action is! If you bid & win the auction you are entering a binding contract (I think)... which down the track - assuming you don't pay - may come back to haunt you? That said... in this case, you'd always have the get-out (as I do) that the bike is nothing like as described.

I'm an optimist (ha!) ... and hoping that he eventually 'finds' my £500. I'll delay posting terrible things on feedback a few more days.

But... he seems to be some kind of trader, and when push comes to shove stands to loose a whole lot more than £500. I don't need the cash 'today', ... I've oodles of time...... & I enjoy a challenge. If he wants to involve the law... then fine.

Yesterday I vowed I'd never buy another vehicle off ebay. But, my Moto Guzzi is perfect; that seller was a gent. And on so reflection I realise that t***s like this SS50 arsehole are probably few & far between.

As I say, I like to think I'm an optimist,
Simon

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
I bought my VFR on the strength of the listing only - turned out the seller was in the services - that is always a good sign.

No - I think we need a campaign. I've already messaged him to say I know the bike is crap.

Edit: Bell end has added a load of keywords for search hits.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:45:36 PM by tom400f »
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Erm... thanks?!  Still chasing my -£500!
Simon

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
I don't believe in all that contractual bullsh1t
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
Just to add that I just walked away from winning a YBR125 because it transpired the condition wasn't what I was hoping for and seller was a dealer, though not disclosed as such, and wanted cash.

Moral: don't pay anything until you've seen it. If you win then I think it's OK (morally and everything else) to then view and walk if you don't like *for good reasons*. My VFR was textbook so I've had both experiences.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 04:31:30 PM »
Finally, I've had my £500 deposit returned. What a bloody palaver it's been... frankly I was beginning to think it was going to get worse - ie small claims court.

Working abroad, and not able to pre-view bikes (whatever) I reckon this'll be my last venture into ebay for a while... tho' to be fair, the 'Guzzi was a big success.

As an honest chap I'm bloody baffled / disappointed at how devious / low others can be.
Ya live'n'learn eh?

Simon

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
Well done
I am real pleased for you.. it didn't sound good for a while

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal