Author Topic: Electrical stuff for looms etc  (Read 2356 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Electrical stuff for looms etc
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:34:02 PM »
MarkB on SOHC.net and SOOC ( great person has wonderfully detailed resto threads on 750 K0 & sandcasts) asked me to share some wiring material  links etc with them on the sandcast site so I have copied the details here for anyone who needs anything. I do have a fair supply of some of the sleeving  materials detailed below (NOT SOFTENER OR TIN PLATING STUFF) and I don't mind giving the odd bit or two away but I ask that members have a few postings under their belt before asking.. there are a few lurkers out there and we need regular contributions from everyone as it enriches our knowledge base on here, in my view.
................................................................................

ashimotok0

Re: The Wire Harness Thread - Everything About Repairing, Restoring & Replicating
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:33:56 AM »

I need a little time to get my facts together Mark but I will look into cleaning up the old connectors in Ultarasonic  cleaner, softening the old PVC covers etc.etc.

Vintage Connections are anyone's first port of call because they stock the correct bullets, multi-block Hitachi non-latching connectors, crimp tool, silver-grey sleeving for the starter solenoid etc. Nice family concern to deal with .. but high import duty for us in the UK.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

I seem to remember my K0 main loom was made by Sumitomo. ( each coloured wire is marked with Sumitomo 1969 ..cool ! )

Here are my sources of other stuff:

Tinning solution ( not tried this as I have old stuff that's great but NLA but it should work if the surface is cleaned and degreased) . This is used to replate bullets/receptacles/components etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221674394658?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

10mm glass woven/ silicone impregnated sleeving

http://uk.farnell.com/hellermann-tyton/gss10/sleeving-helaglass-10mm-25m/dp/1674275

Range for other sizes :

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryId=700000006007&st=glass%20sleeving%2010mm%20silicone&pageSize=25&showResults=true&pf=110381913

Glossy black sleeving: (Vintage Connections for small quantities or silver-grey version)

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryId=700000006007&st=alpha%20sleeving%20black&pageSize=25&showResults=true&pf=110009806,110149521,110381910,110381911

I used clear heatshrink and grey heatshrink for the ends on the alternator sub-harness and the points sub harnesses respectively. The grey is also used on the oil pressure switch cable plus woven glass sleeving.

Vintage connections sell the non-adhesive, black PVC loom tape or it's freely available on eBay.

NEED TO FIND : The thin walled nitrile rubber sleeving for the alternator sub-loom and the HT leads covering. It's around 1mm wall thickness. I do have a lead on it though. Plus the 18AWG glass/silicone woven single cable, in the correct colours, for the alternator coils (high temperature as used in cookers). The same wire is also used on CB350K/CB250K twin, points loom but I think the 750K0 used high temp. PVC yellow and Blue, which  have a source of from' Alpha wire' in the US

RUBBER SOFTENER: Needs to be immersed for a long time (overnight) at 70 degrees C and I think it will only work on Nitrile rubber not PU (Polyurethane). I had an original '69 46k mile  inlet rubber and airbox 'rubber' from my 10/69 K0 analysed and the result was that the inlet was Nitrile & the airbox was PU. This softener definitely does work, I will post pictures of before and after and the part was treated in 2011 and still soft and elastic but it needs long immersion at highish temperature ( I use an old 'slow cooker' to heat the softener in a glass dish  water bath .. if you get an invite for dinner at my house .. then gracefully refrain Grin)

http://www.greatlakes.com/Industries_We_Serve/Building_and_Construction/Other_Building_Materials/Reofos_50

TRY NEWARK IF NO FARNELL STOCKIST  IN YOUR REGION for sleeving etc.

MARK PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BUY ANY OF THIS I WILL SORT YOU OUT ENOUGH FOR A COUPLE OF BIKES AND POST IT FOR FREE TO YOU>>> I OWE YOU ONE !

I will do some more investigations  on the fused clear covers and post back. I am sure I can 'crack' it.

Cheers ... Ash

............................................................................................
REGARDING CLEAR PLASTIC FUSED COVERS ON HONDA BULLET CONNECTORS.

"Mark I remember a post where a member replaced the insulators on his harness. He sealed them to the harness by using one of his wife's or daughters old hair flat irons I believe it was. Through trial and error he carved the shape he needed into the flat iron heating pads to make the correct looking crimp. (Melt) I'll keep looking for the post".

"It was ashimotok0 and he did make it from his daughters hair iron."

REPLY B ME:-
Yes it was me and I did make the fusing tool from a pair of my daughter's old hair straighteners. The problem was finding the unplasticized plastic clear sleeve. I did find some at a works Chrismas party used for inflating those squeeky ballon thingy's. I went round after the meal collecting everyones unused ones. They are probably unplasticised for safety reasons.

I need to revisit this because I fell ill after that original  post and chickened out and used the Vintage Connections sleeves (see attached) but you have rekindled my enthusiasm Mark for my CB350K1 / Cb250K0 wiring loom restorations.

I also used the tinning solution for re-tinning the old connectors and plating the bare brass ones from VC, the type of solution you use for making prototype printed circuit boards (PCB's).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:40:30 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical stuff for looms etc
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:59:49 AM »
Ash google a firm called CPC which is part of the Farnell groop, if they list what you need I have an account

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »
Ash google a firm called CPC which is part of the Farnell groop, if they list what you need I have an account

I have an account with Farnell, RS, and CPC  Bryan. Rapid Electronics are good too. CPC are owned by Farnell now. I spend at least 5k GBP per year with Farnell .. sometimes up to 10k. Their USA outfit is Newark.

There is also a US firm called Mouser I use and they have MASSIVE stocks of stuff and no import duty as they have an office in the UK.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »
Hi Ash,

I have no need of this stuff (yet?) but I applaud both your sharing of it and your pre-conditions for taking advantage.

Cheers,

D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
Thanks for the information Ash,  I've had some Black high gloss PVC sleeve manufactured for me in the UK, as its so hard to find in Europe.
Popular headstock size is 20mm dia/300mm long (discounted cost to members £3.90/300mm.)
If any one is interested please PM me with No. of pieces required or continuous length)
There is a limited quantity as some of the sleeve has been sold on to a vehicle cable vendor
One off £2.90 postage/packing (Royal mail recorded)

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »
It's close, but I tried all the UK/Europe vendors who kindly sent samples, most where matt or at best had a satin finish.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal