Author Topic: Plastic parts that were made of metal  (Read 1479 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Plastic parts that were made of metal
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »
I changed the clutch master cylinder in my Transit connect, well f me the whole bloody thing was made of plastic , every last part of it, has the modern motorcycle industry started this nonsense yet, there was talk of plastic pistons at one time
pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic parts that were made of metal
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
My mum drives an Aixam  ??? the entire car is made of plastic apart from the Ali chassis. The brake callipers are made from a weird Bakelite material and that eventually swells and seizes the brakes on solid.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
Hi,
    Sounds like modern small boy's toys, no more tinplate!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:54:55 AM »
I changed the clutch master cylinder in my Transit connect, well f me the whole bloody thing was made of plastic , every last part of it, has the modern motorcycle industry started this nonsense yet, there was talk of plastic pistons at one time
pete

Most modern bikes are like this as well. The wiring on bikes in the last 5 years looks like the wires you get in your key board. The only gasket on the new fire blade engine is the head gasket, all the rest are case to case fit.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
Ford experimented with a carbon fibre crankshaft some time back and my Daimler has lots of critical stuff made of plastic - I thought we were running out of oil!  It's usually fine to spec plastic during the limited warranty period but as soon as we enthusiasts get to buy this stuff, the fun starts.  There's a lot of Tupperware on my 1500 Wing but the critical stuff is usually good metal.  Mind you, I'm just finishing off my 350 Featherbed Norton which is all metal and bugger all fits as good as Jap stuff!
Hang on to your metal bits, as the Innuit said to the Monkey.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »
Steel rusts. Plastic will eventually age and go brittle, but can be 3d printed. Given how many millions of tonnes of plastic is in landfill I doubt it will run out, price might go up a bit but I reacon it is a matter of time before we start digging up landfill for the raw materials we chucked in there when labour in China has been so cheap everything is cheaper to bin. They are inevitably going to want the lifestyle we have and resources will get harder to come by. Plastic being 3d printed does rather change mass production, probably good news for us as prices should drop as a result. Interesting times to live in.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal