Author Topic: What does this peg do?  (Read 4524 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
What does this peg do?
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
On the left side of the frame, above and behind the hole for the lower engine mount bolt and the mount for the side stand and spring.

Looks like I will need to shorten this to fit the brackets for my rearsets, but don't know what it's purpose was in the first place.  Anyone know?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: What does this peg do?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
To stop the foot peg from turning. If you look at the back of your pegs you will find the hole that this peg fits  ;)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »
To stop the foot peg from turning. If you look at the back of your pegs you will find the hole that this peg fits  ;)
Well then, it will be sacrificed to the grinder gods. 

You have a seriously encyclopedic knowledge of these bikes.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
Well then, it will be sacrificed to the grinder gods. 

You have a seriously encyclopedic knowledge of these bikes.

Built a few  ;)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »
Why grind it off then?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
Agree keep it, one day you may need it
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:20:42 PM »

Been a while now since I looked at one of my bikes but I seem to recall the peg acts as an anchor point for the footrest. Sames as Grahams description but my recollection is that the footrest has a lug mounted on the back/front which locates behind this peg, the peg doesn't fit inside the footrest. Same principle, it stops the footrest from going any further forward, it will howeverallow the footrest to rotate backward if the engine mounting bolt the footrest locates on isn't tight enough.

Sorry Oddjob but, you are thinking 500 and early 550's. The 550F1/F2 has a hole in the peg bracket for this dowel to locate ;)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:52 PM »
Why grind it off then?
I'm mounting rearsets and the dowel interferes with my bracket.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
LOL if that's correct Lester then Graham is wrong, the L/H peg clearly has the lug behind the hole to butt up against the frame lug, the R/H side MAY have the hole but according to the parts list diagram the R/H side doesn't. As the picture shows the side stand mounting plate it's clearly the L/H side of the bike. So although both of us are correct if that's the case, this time I win  :) as the picture shows the side with the lug not the brake side. Plus if it was right the frame lug would be in front of the bolt hole not behind it as in the pic.
Looked at my foot pegs and it looks like Trig is right.  The left hand peg has a hole for the dowel to fit into, the right hand peg has a lug. 

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 03:57:27 AM »
Why grind it off then?
I'm mounting rearsets and the dowel interferes with my bracket.

If u r using rearsets,would u sell me your originals?
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
LOL if that's correct Lester then Graham is wrong, the L/H peg clearly has the lug behind the hole to butt up against the frame lug, the R/H side MAY have the hole but according to the parts list diagram the R/H side doesn't. As the picture shows the side stand mounting plate it's clearly the L/H side of the bike. So although both of us are correct if that's the case, this time I win  :) as the picture shows the side with the lug not the brake side. Plus if it was right the frame lug would be in front of the bolt hole not behind it as in the pic.
Looked at my foot pegs and it looks like Trig is right.  The left hand peg has a hole for the dowel to fit into, the right hand peg has a lug.

Then I would suggest you look at them again, the L/H side is the gear change side, the R/H side should be much more complicated as it has to cope with the kickstart mechanism. Sides are determined by how you sit on the bike not by looking at it from the front.

Yep, got my lefts and rights the correct way around.  Maybe I just don't get the peg setup.  One peg has a hole in the mount that exactly matches up with the dowel on the left of the frame, so I assumed that was the left peg.  The other peg has a projection, but to be honest with everything disassembled I couldn't tell what it would butt up against. 

So, the foot peg with the hole is actually the right side, even though there's nothing that fits into it?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
Pretty sure it is to locate a footpeg against  -stop it rotating. Not a major job to put back ,if needed, but fitting rearsets makes it superflous, unless you find the rearsets disagreeable and decide to revert to standard - in which case you will need to weld a new one on, assuming you have a welder.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
I learn something every day. ☺ Thanks Oddjob!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:41 AM »
We have the 400 bitches and now the 550 guys are at it. It is only a location dowel  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal