Author Topic: Cleaning crank cases  (Read 2005 times)

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Cleaning crank cases
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
I have the engine out of my Z900A4 whilst I am doing the restoration on the bike. Top end is off for guides, seals etc and as a result the barrels, head and cam cover have all been vapor blasted. Look a bit too dull and mat, but much cleaner than before.

However, the bottom end is fine and I am not going to split the cases just to have them cleaned. The A4's do not have painted cases, just natural alloy finish and whilst I have been over them with a small wire brush in a Dremel the cases still look very 'dirty' when compared to the top end as the finish is like a fine orange peel and as a result the dirt and grime trapped in the pockets does not get removed.

Any suggestions of how the clean the cases on the bench? Are there any chemical cleaners that can be used locally that can do the job or are there any solutions or processes that any member has used successfully?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Cleaning crank cases
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »
Guess you could try soda blasting - would need to mask around the studs / bores but it's a much more forgiving media than glass bead and would be minimal risk of contaminating the bottom end.

Other than that, you could try a mild solution of 'traffic film remover / truck wash' applied by spray (its a mild acid) and plenty of elbow grease with a stiff plastic scrubbing / washing up brush?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:31:36 PM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning crank cases
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

For home soda blasting I am assuming that you are referring the 'home' made kit using a tube into some baking soda and an air compressor? Unfortunately I don't have an air compressor.

Might give the TFR a try.

Anybody else have any other alternatives that they have found successful?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
I clean all engine parts in white spirit odurless type and pleased with the results and after just a bit of elbow grease here and there
Depends if you want showroom finish.
B O  L
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
It is not a easy job to do, unless you strip the bottom end down. TFR is good to get any road dirt off, after that try petrol with a paint brush. Soda is not really aggressive for this job. As James has pointed out, loads elbow grease.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:26 PM »
Use paraffin (safer than petrol) with a firm brush and, as said, lots of hard work.  :)
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
Use paraffin (safer than petrol) with a firm brush and, as said, lots of hard work.  :)

Paraffin is OK for cleaning internal parts but, no good on the outside of casings if you want to paint.

Offline martin_uk

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
You can use brake and clutch cleaner, but can generally use  cellulose thinners to finally wipe off areas you want to paint (depends on paint)

All oil ways should be blown through to make sure clear
1977 CB750F1
1977 CB750f1 836
1978 CB750F1
1975 CB500K1

Triumph Street Triple 675R
Ducati 800 Icon Scrambler
Triumph 3TA
AJS 350 mod16
BSA BantamD1
Honda C90zz
Honda CB500X