Author Topic: Tank badges  (Read 7867 times)

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Tank badges
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:56:47 AM »
Hi guys.
   Tried to find a similar thread on this and forgive me for repeating a topic possibly. I've just taken delivery of my 750 K0 tank from Dream machines, now in it's final stage of restoration and I have to find a way of attaching the tank badges on the tank as the pins, as usual, have broken. What have you guys done to resolve the problem? I may well go down the line of gluing them on but NOT with a super glue type!! I may well have to get these badges off again and don't want to destroy the paint in the process! This also applies to the side panel badges which still have the original  I am considering using Silicon (black), then to gently pick away the excess around the edges?
    What are your experiences or thoughts? Cheers.

Nige.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Tank badges
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
I would try some thin but hardish foam rubber backed with carpet adhesive tape. I sticks like sh*t to a blanket if you get decent stuff with the fibres running though it and the foam/adhesive tape shoud be just the right thickness to give no real gap between the emblem and the panel. You can get foam tape with adhesive  but in my experince its not as tacky. Luckily my 'emblems' still have the mounting points intacts. BTW those K0 emblems are actually brass and re-chrome perfectly... All I need to find is someone who is prepared to sell a very small amount of Honda 'Sunny Gold' paint for the side emblems.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »
Double sided trim tape works well and it won't be a pig to remove in the future.
I'v got loads you can have some for free

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »
Having gone to the expense of a respray why not fit new

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
Original badges and in excellent condition.. Replacing these with original would be expensive - particularly the side badges.
  Thanks Mick and all. Will PM you this week when decision has been made. 😊
   Nige.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »
I've used low modulus clear silicone sealant before and had no problems.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »
Why not bond some aluminium flat head rivets to them and then use standard fixings. I have some special industrial epoxy and ally powder filler you can bond them with. Trust me the bond will be strong if you mix it and cure it properly. Agreed K0 emblem sets mega expensive, don't blame you for wanting to keep originals. I think I have some of the rivets but they are at work, I  will check tomorrow if you are interested.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Many thanks Ash.
  Never seen this technique used before but very interested. Can you let me know by PM or email? Thanks.
   Nige.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »
Many thanks Ash.
  Never seen this technique used before but very interested. Can you let me know by PM or email? Thanks.
   Nige.
\

Found the rivets (loads of them)  I will try it out on a badge and let you know. If it works I will PM you & send you a few and a bit of the epoxy concoction. :)

Ash

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
The rivets are perfect  and got lots of 'em ..  exactly the right length, aluminium and diameter (3mm) with a flat bottom. Mixed the epoxy with ali filler and left on the boiler to cure adding a 3rd mount to a K0 tank badge !!  abraded surfaces first and played a creme brulee burner  flame over it to let the epoxy flow out.

Off to the boozer now will report back tomorrow morning.

Got loads of the two-pack epoxy but short of the fine alloy powder so can only spare enough for you for your 4  badges (if it works of course)

Ash

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
Wow! Thanks Ash.😊
  Nige.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »
Attached results of the 'experiment'. Looks pretty good .. could do with more epoxy around the base of the rivet though. Please PM your address and I will send you a repair kit Nige. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ash

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:25 AM »
Ash you're a legend...

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
+1  Looks great Ash.  :)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
OK ..I know you think I am crazy but I did some more evaluation. Please don't mock me it's just my nature to fanny about like this .. done it since I was a sprog!

1st I topped up the epoxy, cured overnight on the top of my boiler, then I hooked the pin up to a small chuck and linked to a load cell/data logger. In one test I applied 21 kG and the badge was creaking a bit so I backed off. I then recorded a test and at 16kg the chuck pulled off the rivet but the bonded rivet was still intact. So looks like result!

Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:14:33 PM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal