Author Topic: jumping ...missing and backfiring  (Read 8841 times)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
jumping ...missing and backfiring
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »
well,
had the spark plug repaired engine back in and started ok. but it runs v lumpy. the faster i went the better the engine pulled. at 70-80 ish no miss. below 4k misses splutters and now and then a small backfire, or pop out of the left side.

apart from the plug blowing out the bike was running great before i had the head off.

things i have checked.

timing both static and with strobe
valve clearance
carb bowl clean
checked the needle position on each carb also
timing again
new petrol (getting desperate)

it seems as if it is misfiring on the left most cylinder (sitting on the bike)

how / can i check the coil
could it be one of the condensers?

when the manual says number 1 is that to the left, is that as you sit on it or looking at it from the front? just a daft question i know but i am not sure.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Thanks
Billy

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: jumping ...missing and backfiring
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
sitting on it no 1 to the left.Doubt condensor as 1 and 4 would have the same problem.Coil lead only and cap of course,Sure no air leaks at carbs?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »
Try swapping 1,4. And 2,3 Ht caps and also swap the coil primaries (blue and yellow)   if the problem moves to 2 or 3, then you've got a coil or HT fault.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »
Hi Billy, also worth checking the impedance across each pair of coils, and whether you're running resistor or non resistor plugs.

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:19 PM »
the two coils are the same and the plugs are the same.  :(
thanks for replying

Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »
Hi Billy,

The backfiring, lumpy, popping, plug blow-out are all suggesting (to me) a timing issue, and due that 4000 RPM threshold, perhaps a problem with the advance / retard unit... which is possibly 'stuck' in the advanced range? Check it's working properly, is smooth turning, the springs in good fettle, and most importantly of all, it's set up to the correct timing marks. And obviously, if one set of points is mis-set, that too will show up as a pair of mis-behaving cylinders.
(Ballpark, the advance retard kicks in @ 1100 RPM, and is fully advanced by 2500RPM.)

Apologies if you're familiar with setting up, but just to re-affirm, the static & strobe timing marks (low idle) are the 'F' mark, whilst above 2500 RPM or so the strobe should be illuminating at the two marks 23.5-26.5 degrees ahead of those F marks.

Er.... enjoy your Sunday!

Simon
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:16:19 AM by Lobo »

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
ok so had a busy sunday  8) advance is working fine,.
decided to check my coils so watched a utube vid

and i have 4.9 on the primary (ohm contacts on the yellow and black/white)
the vid said after switching to 2K on the multimeter keep the contact on the yellow wire and the other in the plug cap and you should have a reading of around 10. i get nothing :-\

then on to the other coil and  4.8 primary and nil again from the secondary

i put the plug on the head and spun on the starter and there is a tiny spark you can barely see it (inside the garage).

has anyone tested there coils like this?

Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »
Hi,
    Try the 2nd test again in one HT lead with the meter set to 20K with both plug caps off the plugs on duel output coil, as 2K is too low for 2nd circuit, and "lesser" meters will not automatically shift upscale and will show no reading---Ken
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
thanks Ken, i am sure i did try on 2K,20K,200K,as i remember the dot moving across each time i changed it, but i will re test next Fri (work away all week). fingers crossed

Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
jumping ...missing and backfiring
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Billy, you need to break it down a bit and isolate the plug caps from the coils. Remove the plug caps and meter across the pair of HT leads on each coil (so 1&4 and 2&3). Should get 15 kOhms from memory. Then meter across each plug cap and if they are resistor caps you should get 5 kOhms. So total of 25 kOhms impedance across each coil with the plug caps fitted. This assumes you're running non resistor plug caps.

But this is based on 750 experience....maybe someone on here can validate correct for the 500/550?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
I recently replaced the plug caps on my 500,as the resistance had increase to sky high rating,

age and use does cause the caps to burn out,

for less then £20 a set,worth getting new,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »
Think of a coil like a transformer; it has 2 coils,a primary and a secondary..
The primary (yellow to black white and blue to black white for the other coil) is around 5 ohms.
The secondary (from one HT lead to the other) is around 15k.
There should be no resistance between yellow and a Ht lead, they're not connected at all.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
The vid is probably a single output coil where the other end of the HT is earth or frequently the points side of the LT side. The Honda twin output coils have LT and HT as two seperate insulated windings so second test needs to be between the two HT leads on the same coil.

Weak spark is common if cap is going high resistance ALSO id resistor plugs are used with reietor caps

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:11 PM »
New ngk caps but thanks I will do new checks this Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks
Billy

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
Hi Billy,
  I would look very closely at potential air leaks. These are very similar symptoms on my 750 and found the inlet tube/s weren't sealed properly. They were, in fact, the wrong ones!! Lower the demand on the engine the poorer it ran. Particularly around town. I sprayed a soapy liquid onto the tubes and area it which should be sealed and the engine picked up and ran sweetly for a second or two on no's 1/2. Those tubes were incorrect and one was split.
   I hope this may be a more simple solution and fingers crossed for you.
    Nige.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:29:26 AM by Sparrow1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal