Author Topic: Front wheel laced  (Read 3782 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Front wheel laced
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:41:23 PM »

A bit of progress.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front wheel laced
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »
Nice work...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
Bang for buck, this is one of those jobs that just gives heaps of satisfaction....

Looking great.

Simon

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
That looks the buissness
It's a job that is so rewarding to do yourself....its talked about like alchemy..
When you put new rubber on that it will feel like a real job done....
How's the rest of the build going?
I've been following your progress all the way it's somewhat captivating and inspiring watching things progress and not rushed....
Budget blown yet? Or is it still in hand

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:44:28 PM »
That looks the buissness
It's a job that is so rewarding to do yourself....its talked about like alchemy..
I've been following your progress all the way it's somewhat captivating and inspiring watching things progress and not rushed....
Thanks for the compliment, I'm trying to take the time to do things right the first time.  Hopefully no regrets later on.  The budget on the other hand... well, it hasn't doubled yet... .

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:54:35 PM »
Forgot to update you on the rest of the build.  The engine top end has been rebuilt with new rings, valve seats cut and valves lapped in, ports milled out a bit to clean up the casting, barrels and head painted, covers polished and all buttoned up with stainless bolts.  I took a time lapse of the reassembly, but need to stitch the two videos together before posting.
The lower rear engine mount in the frame was rounded out, so had that welded and rebored. 
Fork lowers are polished, and just got the tubes back from Philpotts so I can reassemble those now too.  Custom seat pan is built, and bought some leather to upholster it, but still need to get the foam.  That's where I'm at.  Saving at the moment for a custom stainless exhaust to be built in August.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »
That looks the buissness
Thanks for the compliment, I'm trying to take the time to do things right the first time.  Hopefully no regrets later on.  The budget on the other hand... well, it hasn't doubled yet... .

your doing really well,

and as for the budget,as its still less than double the estimate,you should get a job as a government project manager!!their
projects tend to be budget X 10!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
Nice wheel, the rear is even easier  ;)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
Question for you all - the threads in the hub for the bearing retainer are a bit messed up.  I can probably force the new retainer through it, but it'll be a struggle, and pretty sure it'd never come out in one piece again.  Can the threads be fixed, or is the retainer critical?  Was thinking maybe just a bigger seal - crazy and dangerous?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »
Question for you all - the threads in the hub for the bearing retainer are a bit messed up.  I can probably force the new retainer through it, but it'll be a struggle, and pretty sure it'd never come out in one piece again.  Can the threads be fixed, or is the retainer critical?  Was thinking maybe just a bigger seal - crazy and dangerous?

Never had a problem with that tread. Clean it up with a wire brush, a little oil and turn it one turn in, half a turn out. Keep doing this and it should go in with the right tool.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »

Never had a problem with that tread. Clean it up with a wire brush, a little oil and turn it one turn in, half a turn out. Keep doing this and it should go in with the right tool.
I don't know what the PO did, but the threads are actually bent.  The last retaining ring was only screwed half way in, but I think I can do better than that.  Maybe worth buying the retainer tool?

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
You could partially clean that up with some fine shaped needle files.
Would ease things I bit, then as Graham says half turn quarter back.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
Hi,
   You can get "internal" thread chasers, although they work better with the part in a lathe they can still be used by hand-Ken
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Hi,
   You can get "internal" thread chasers, although they work better with the part in a lathe they can still be used by hand-Ken
Any idea how many TPI (threads per inch?) the hub threads are?  Is it just a simple case of counting?  Seems like a thread chaser is a good idea and not too pricey on ebay.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:29:05 PM by JustcallmeMrT »

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 04:59:20 PM »
Found a printable scale.  Matches with 18 tpi / 1.5mm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal