Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 913 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Electronic ignition
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:50:51 PM »
What are your guys views on the electronic ignition upgrade for the CB750. Is it worth forking out 100 gold coins for the upgrade?
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
Depends on the amount of use he bike gets as to whether you think it's worth the money, when my 750F1 was in daily use it was doing 12-15,000 miles a year on points, and never missed a beat. Would I go electronic? NO! But some on here do like it, to me it's something that isn't worth the outlay.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 09:03:47 PM »
This one covered a while back Mike... and likely before that.... and before that...
Horses for courses...

I've fitted a contact-less system for no other reason than I enjoy tinkering; but has it improved the performance... not that I can tell. (though possibly starting is easier)

Why can't I tell? Coz she's an old gal... & I'm not going to be thrashing her. And besides, I'm not doing a great mileage to boot.

If gold coins are an issue, honestly, I wouldn't bother... Honda got it pretty right back in the 70's...  in my opinion. Reliable, easy to maintain, and cheap. What more could you want?

Simon

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »
If you do lots of miles electronic ignition, if you do few miles stick with points.

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, not looking to do any high mileage so it looks like I will be saving the gold coins for something else then!  ;D
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal