Author Topic: Historic Vehicle rolling 40 year exemption..  (Read 12289 times)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
Re: Historic Vehicle rolling 40 year exemption..
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »
hi,
is this 40 years an automatic thing? or do i have to apply? i have a 1974 Kawasaki triple date of reg 01/01/74.
do i need to apply or will this happen seamlessly :-)

Thanks
Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
You need to do it. See 2nd post from csd4t earlier in this topic.

Offline csd4t

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »
V5 returned now, insurance and mot separately
There is no F in cod

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »
I will add an update to this old thread.
I had previously tried Honda for a Dating Letter and failed, as noted earlier in the thread.
But with comments from other members in the back of my mind I thought I would have another go.
As Oddjob suggested maybe they could come up with something close even if they couldn't identify the exact bike.
So I sent off another letter and a cheque, and lo and behold nearly 4 weeks later I have today received an answer.
My bike was apparently built on 16th March 1977, which is what I wanted to know.
Don't know why they couldn't have told me that the first time I asked! I suppose at least they returned the cheque.
Also don't know why the bike wasn't registered until March 1981, but that will probably remain a mystery.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:57 PM »
... date of manufacture and date of registration on those bikes must have been quite a few years apart I'd imagine.
That was the starting point for my quest to find the information. Date of manufacture and date of registration were both shown as 1981.
Date of manufacture is now recorded with DVLA as 1977 so should qualify for tax exemption at the 'right' time.

Interestingly it is quite common to see 400/4's shown as 1978 or even 1979, I didn't think they were manufactured after 1977 so maybe
the registration date is being assumed as the year of manufacture. It would be interesting to see what a DVLA Vehicle Enquiry shows as the
year of manufacture in such cases (it's not on the V5), I think it is that date which determines when road tax becomes free.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »
Probably sat at Honda UK in a crate for years.

I remember when the CX500 came out, a year or so later the CX500A came out and that got a little flyscreen and metallic paint, the the CX500B came out with the reversed comstars and then you couldn't really sell the earlier version as everyone wanted the A or B model.

Queens Park Motors where I was working at the time paired up with Bill Smiths of Chester and bought hundreds of the earlier CX500 which had been sat in a warehouse at Honda for ages, when they turned up the crates were in pretty poor condition, full of dust and general crap and starting to come apart, the bikes inside were fine however.

Queenies sold them at hundreds of pounds less than the CX500A/B and they went like hot cakes, date of manufacture and date of registration on those bikes must have been quite a few years apart I'd imagine.

Cracking bit of history there Oddjob and it all makes sense, the way you explained it.

Don't want hijack thread but when will my August 1975 (1st date of registration) become tax exempt?

Cheers  ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 06:57:26 PM »
Ash,

the wording is "year of manufacture"

so,is there a possibility its made in '74 ??

ask Honda.
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »
the wording is "year of manufacture"
Start by looking to see what DVLA have recorded for it: https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/.
(The DVLA service is free, the Honda route will cost you £30).
They hold the information and hopefully will use it when you submit a request to change the taxation class.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:39:59 PM by Chris400F »

Offline clive

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
Very pleased to discover that my bike now qualifies.  I need to renew the MOT then I can apply for a refund.

Just getting a puncture repaired and thinking about starting up after a winter rest.  Nervous.

I sent my details to DVLA just before easter,,not heard from them yet ,

mine is registered march '74,manufactured late '73.,age verified by Honda,certificate enclosed
  give'em a ring to gee'em up i did, it worked for me.
cb500/4, 535 virago, sunny south yorkshire, apart from floods, earthquakes

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »
I was told that it had to be 40 years from first reg date. also i sent in to Swansea my MOT insurance only to get it sent back a month later with a letter to say i should change the taxation class at the counter of a crown PO. i did this and the lady was great. no need for docs, she did it on screen and took my log book and said i would receive a new one in two weeks. and to keep the counter receipt  in-case it was lost. i have since received the new log book with Classic in the taxation class. ;D
Billy

PS i will be doing the same for my 250 on the 2nd of Aug this year.
Thanks
Billy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal