Author Topic: I've been offered  (Read 3186 times)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
I've been offered
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice, I've been offered a CB500 four 1975 which I belive to be a genuine UK bike, has about 41000 on the clock, has had the frame & the singing arm stoved, looks as if the engine cases etc. have been painted & generally looks very clean & tidy. It also has a new set of genuine pipes which I'm told were the last available set in the UK at the time. There are a few little minor issues, more tidying up which I would need to sort, the only real issue is it has mag alloys fitted which look ok but I would want to return to spoked wheels which would potentially look to be quite an expensive job
The bike was rebuilt by a guy who passed away about 4/5 years ago, he never road it & it has been stood since then. Also don't know exactly what was done to it during the rebuild. The chap selling it for the widow is currently stripping & cleaning the carbs as the petrol that was in has gone off, so I will be able to hear it run & give it a try on a short private road before making a decision.

They are asking £2500 for it and have said they won't take less, does that sound a reasonable price? Looking at the price that is being asked for some basket cases on eBay I would think its probably fair.

Sorry for rambling on & thanks in advance.

Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: I've been offered
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
Conrad - the pipes alone are probably worth £2000....probably a good buy even just for the pipes....

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
Sounds a fair price based on description given. I am not in the leauge of people who spend that on a bike, no matter how nice but if I did have that kind of disposable then it does sound like something that would float my boat.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies, perhaps a little background on me would not go amiss.
In the late 70s I had a CB175, CB750 F1 & a CB500 K3.

I recently returned to biking after a break of about 35 years buying a rather tatty Yamaha XJ900 Diversion for the simple reason that it was cheap & very local. On my first outing I nearly gave up, but after putting it off for a few days I ventured out again & got on much better, certainly not confident but a lot more comfortable, now have about 300 miles under my belt & am beginning to enjoy it again.
The CB500 is exactly the sort of bike that I would love to have, couldn't belive it when this one virtually fell in my lap.
Born again SOHC owner

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:50:25 PM »
Hi Conrad and welcome.

Put you location in your profile so that we know where you are.

If you've had 35 years out, maybe you should look into some advanced training. I did (well, actually my wife insisted).

:)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:01:48 PM »
would cost that to restore a poor example so not bad price, exhausts make it a good deal.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline petersy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »
If you could post a couple of pictures of the bike, we would be better placed to advise on price.

As mentioned above, the silencers were the Achilles heel on these bikes, which is a pity because they were part of the Honda Four concept back in the day.

I fitted pair of mag wheels on a new Honda CB500 that I bought back in '74, (when they were quite a rarity on road bikes) and really liked them, so if you do buy the bike and aren't keen on the mags, I, and possibly others might be interested in them.

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
SteveD
Have added my location.
Others have suggested I get some training which I may consider, I am already well versed in observation & defensive driving techniques & I feel I just need to become more familiar with my current bikes handling characteristics first.

mickwinf
I had figured as much on the costs of restoring one in less than perfect condition & I want something I can ride sooner rather than later.

petersy
If I had any pictures I would post but unfortunately nothing at the moment, if I get it I will certainly offer the mags for sale once I have some spoked wheels. There is a front hub comes with it, but the rears seem a bit like rocking horse shit in this country the only ones I have found up to now are all abroad. Guess I will just have to stump up if that's what I want.

Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Don't reject rear hubs with cracked liners, they can be fixed. I have done them on a diy basis, but there are proffessionals who do it with the right insurance and liability cover. This may give more candidates for rear wheel rennovation.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »
Hey Conrad im in Scunthorpe and have just got my 500 on the road and have had a few of them so any help or advise just ask, also have some spares if you need any.
Mick

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »
Don't you just love these banned word filters...

;D
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
Bloody hell Mick we must be neighbours that's where I am too (just off Cottage Beck), perhaps you would be willing to come along & cast your eye when I go again.

Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »
haha im on Burringham road so not far away. Would be happy to look it over, if you want to check my bike to compare that's no problem.

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
Have sent you a PM Mick
Born again SOHC owner

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal