Author Topic: Brake problem?  (Read 2182 times)

jimshea

Brake problem?
« on: October 23, 2006, 01:18:52 PM »
I have had new bearings fitted and now I have a brake problem, I think!!
I tried to fit new EBC pads and the inner of the two pads will not go in, well it does go in but the wheel is so tight you can hardly turn it! The disc is not sitting completely in the middle of the caliper housing and I wondered how that can be adjusted, or if that is correct?? The old pads were much more worn on the inner of the two, so obviously this has been like this for a while.
The bike is a 76 F1.
Jim.

leonardo269

Re:Brake problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »
Hi Jim,

I have just set up a twin disk conversion on a K7 which has basically the same front end as your bike, but just x 2.

It is important that the caliper arm lines up with the disk. If it is not then the pads will not contact the disk at right angles (i.e. using the whole area of the pad) the result will be poor braking and uneven wear at one edge of the pads.

Is the caliper too far over towards the wheel, or towards the fork stanchion?

Check the caliper & bracket are the correct ones and that they have been fitted correctly. (Come to think of it - is your wheel fitted correctly?)

As the problem seems to have arisen since you have had new bearings I should make sure that they are fitted correctly as well.

When the caliper arm is lined up squarely with the centre of the disk you will need to adjust the brake correctly. Fit the caliper and turn the adjustment screw until the brake starts to bind and then screw in a turn or so. You should now have a bit of play in the caliper arm. Nip up the adjustment locknut.

Give it a 10 minute ride about and re-check the wheel is still free to move. Sometimes they get a bit tight. I like to feel a bit of play on the back of the adjusting scew by putting my finger around the back of the caliper arm.  

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ray

jimshea

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:11:22 PM »
Ray,
I should have said that it was a rear brake, sorry. I did do the front ones and adjust as suggested though.
I have had a pig of a time with the rear brakes, that is the disc that is not aligned for some reason.
Jim.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 07:16:16 AM »
Jim,
Sounds like the bearing have not seated fully down, making the hub slightly wider.
I don't think you can mix the spacers up.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

jimshea

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 08:56:36 AM »
John,
Thanks.
I think that might well be the problem, as the bearing cover sits proud, and I understand it should be flush. Re psacers, on the disc side the spacer looks a bit like a 'top hat' on the chain side it is a plain spacer.
JIm.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal