Author Topic: Cleaned up my frames at last  (Read 2611 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Cleaned up my frames at last
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
Spent 12 hours outside yesterday on a day off from work,  stripping two CB twin frames... really enjoyable day. Just need to clean up a few areas and treat with phosphoric acid and jobs a good one.
Found that an angle grinder run at 100v (used an auto transformer or 'Variac',  with a really heavy duty cup brush, transformed the grinder/brush from a flailing monster to a very sedate and not so dangerous method of removing paint after application of paint remover ('Rustins' .. removed from the skip at work.) You could probably also use a lamp dimmer to control it ...simply connect the lamp dimmer in series with the live (brown) mains lead of the grinder.

Ash
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:25:44 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaned up my frames at last
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
The faster the angle grinder with a wire brush the smoother the finish  ;)
Nice bit of work Ash

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »
Damn good Ash
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »
I cheated ash and got my K0 frame blasted....went off for paint today...

Oh and I can confirm they appeared to use MIG welding on the K0 frames back in '69....

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
James, make sure you get all the blast media out of the inside of the frame because i had one once that some of the media came out once the frame had been painted and still wet  :'( :'( 

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »
Thanks Graham - yeah it's had a pretty good clean out pre-paint.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
Ash thats saved you a few quid you tight Yorkshire man ha ha  (private joke)
Did you get all the smaller parts done?
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
pete

Not as tight as my best mate Pete. His gas bill for the winter quarter was 12 quid (he's found a company that has no standing charge but charges more / unit for the gas used) and he sits with his feet on a block of polystyrene for insulation when it's cold outside. Boils his kettle once per day as he makes up a big vacuum flask of tea first thing in the morning that lasts him all day.

Blasting the smaller parts Pete in the blast cabinet we just got at work (see post on seat base from CB250KSS) .. absolute magic! The pleasure in using  it for the 1st time was comparable with your first experience as a schoolboy doing  the thing that 90% of them admit to and the remaining 10% are liars. Sorry Julie for this potty talk.

Ash
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:28:45 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »
pete

Not as tight as my best mate Pete. His gas bill for the winter quarter was 12 quid (he's found a company that has no standing charge but charges more / unit for the gas used) and he sits with his feet on a block of polystyrene for insulation when it's cold outside. Boils his kettle once per day as he makes up a big vacuum flask of tea first thing in the morning that lasts him all day.

Blasting the smaller parts Pete in the blast cabinet we just got at work (see post on seat base from CB250KSS) .. absolute magic! The pleasure in using  it for the 1st time was comparable with your first experience as a schoolboy doing  the thing that 90% of them admit to and the remaining 10% are liars. Sorry Julie for this potty talk.

Ash

'Potty talk' makes me smile Ash - makes my bad morning at work seem more bearable  ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal