Author Topic: Tank treatment prior to blasting  (Read 918 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Tank treatment prior to blasting
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »
I have three 1968/69 CB250K0 tanks (with the rubber knee-pads and squared off look  ... rare!) that I am currently cleaning up prior to two tone painting. I have masked them with gaffer tape so that I can blast the underside and the bits under the rubber knee pads without getting a blast finish on the 'visible' areas. Then I am going to chemically strip the rest of the paint in the 'visible' painted areas. All three are really good condition with so significant rust inside. I blasted one yesterday OK but the other two have a very faint whiff of stale fuel inside. Whilst blasting other steel parts, I have seen the occasional spark in the blast cabinet, so does anyone know what I can put inside the other two tanks to prevent blowing myself up! I am blasting them with the tap,and link pipes sealed off and an old, scrap, cap fitted. BTW the chromed caps  for these (fit other bikes too) are still available new from Honda (mine were from DSS), at less than a tenner including the seal !
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:54:50 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Tank treatment prior to blasting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »
On the rare occasion I have welded a fuel tank, it was cleaned out with a steam jet for quite some time beforehand. Not sure you would need to go down that route before blasting though. I know people that have washed them out with soap and water, then a good rinse. Blast them, then clean out with diesel afterwards to stop corrosion. Nobody has blown up yet so it must work. Not had to do that myself though. BTW Ash. How did it go with the shaving of inlet rubber? Cheers Roy.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Tank treatment prior to blasting
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
On the rare occasion I have welded a fuel tank, it was cleaned out with a steam jet for quite some time beforehand. Not sure you would need to go down that route before blasting though. I know people that have washed them out with soap and water, then a good rinse. Blast them, then clean out with diesel afterwards to stop corrosion. Nobody has blown up yet so it must work. Not had to do that myself though. BTW Ash. How did it go with the shaving of inlet rubber? Cheers Roy.

He said he was testing the rubber bit yesterday, so i will call him today.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal