Author Topic: Engine assembly lube  (Read 2396 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Engine assembly lube
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »
Can anybody recommend a good quality engine assembly lube. For use on mains/bigs, gearbox bearings, cam and bearings etc. Just been using loads of engine oil but apparently "I can do better". Bugger! told off again. >:(
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine assembly lube
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
Can anybody recommend a good quality engine assembly lube. For use on mains/bigs, gearbox bearings, cam and bearings etc. Just been using loads of engine oil but apparently "I can do better". Bugger! told off again. >:(

This is what we use in the trade. Not cheap >  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221481142911?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Can it be used in engines with wet clutches?  We wouldn't want problems with clutch slip due to some super slippery stuff in the oil.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
Can it be used in engines with wet clutches?  We wouldn't want problems with clutch slip due to some super slippery stuff in the oil.

Have been building engines with Graphogen for the past 25 years. It is a running in compound and if used right a engine can be bench tested with out oil. Graphogen comes out after the first oil change  ;) ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
Says on eBay it can be used on the bores. Think I will stick with plain oil for the bores though, as I would like the rings to bed properly. Good point about the clutch slip though. Probably okay if Trigger's been using it, he does loads of engines so would know.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
I use something called 'Molycote' I saw it was specifically reccomended for my bmw engine which had all new bearings in the crank region, new rings etc. I was lucky, picked up 3 tubes of it at £1 each in a bancrupcy sale. Safly it doesn't cure the bike of being a Bmw - the electrics are awfull on those bikes, as are the carbs. Stick with Honas 4s they cost less to work on, run and ride.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
If the engine is not going to sit for long before running oil is fine, for storage after building i have always used copperslip and never had a problem (except funny coloured oil till after first oil change!)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
Anyone remember in the 60's and 70's  people used to use 'Filtrate' oil in Honda twins. I took the centrifugal filter cover off  a Honda once to clean it out  and it was full of graphite or molybdenum disuphide or whatever was in the  Filtrate oiled it was running with. I think it was made in Leeds and was recommended by Ken Blakey's our first Honda dealer in East Yorkshire and one of the first Honda dealers in the UK, selling Dreams and Benly's.

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
Ash, used to use nothing but in the first dealer I worked for until Castrol offered a deal with a bulk tank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal