Author Topic: Chains and sprockets  (Read 2312 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Chains and sprockets
« on: May 02, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
X-ring,  o-ring, heavy duty, standard?  What is the difference and what would you go for?

Also, should I stick to standard sprocket setup or is there a good reason to alter tooth number front or rear?  I will admit complete ignorance as to the effects this has, but have seen threads where people are talking about this.  What's the deal?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Chains and sprockets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:23:10 PM »
Stick to DID heavy duty and STD sprockets. Some of the O' ring chains are a little bit too wide and cut into the engine cases ;) Now, you will get a ton of members saying that X' ring and O'ring are much better ;D ;D ;D

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »
I agree with Trigger about chains,

as for spockets,Wemoto do a good range of gearbox,and rear sprockets,larger and smaller as you need

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_four_k1_k2/72-73/

quite a lot of parts available
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:48:15 PM »
It looks like I will have to be the first to say it.  :P
I use them on everything as they take a lot more abuse I very rarely need to grease or adjust mine.
O&X ring are better but not really necessary on these bikes and mine does run very close to the cases.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:56:07 PM »
It looks like I will have to be the first to say it.  :P
I use them on everything as they take a lot more abuse I very rarely need to grease or adjust mine.
O&X ring are better but not really necessary on these bikes and mine does run very close to the cases.

Mick

Mick i changed the chain and sprockets on my CD250 yesterday. still had the original set on after 36,432 miles and the rear sprocket was still in good shape  ;) ;)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
So what (if any) is the advantage of changing sprocket tooth number?  I'm not saying I want to, I just want to know why people do it - anyone feel like explaining the theory behind it?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 10:23:36 PM »
the standard sprockets are 17 and 34,= 2 to one ratio,

the 500 has always had a high top gear,like an overdrive,

in my case,I use a 4.00 x 18 rear tyre,which is bigger than the standard 3.50 x 18,which again raises the gearing,blunting acceleration,
and making it feel sluggish,

by using a 16 tooth gear sprocket,it lowers the ratios by about 5%,

improving rideability,acceleration and makes the bike more fun,also takes some load off the motor,

this is my personal opinion,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 10:24:54 PM »
Smaller gearbox sprocket (or larger rear sprocket = lower hearing so more revs for a given speed. In theory, more acceleration.

Larger gearbox or smaller rear = lower revs for a given speed so more relaxed cruising (until you come to a hill)

If you own an R1 or a Panigale, go for it. Otherwise, Mr Honda knew best.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:42 PM »
Honda have done the development on their bikes and have calculated the optimum sizes for the sprockets.   Some riders prefer different characteristics,  such as better acceleration versus top speed or more top speed v not so good acceleration.   Unless you're fitting a sidecar there's no real need to alter things. Some people just like "experimenting "
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Got it.  Thanks gents!  Fantastic as always.  Some pics soon to follow - slowly making progress on this build!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:15:53 AM »
Even with sidecar I tend to stick to standard sprocketts, though a larger rear is more fun, but can lead to tyre wear from hooligan riding. I used izumi o ring rear chain last time, lasts better but the heavy duty did takes a lot of beating and doesn't risk the crankcase getting worn, though I haven't had this. The o ring chain is better if you wind up using the bike every dayand fall into the lazy habbit of not looking after the chain oiling as well as you should in winter.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal