Author Topic: 350F exhausts from CMS, DSS & AC-Motorradteile (Germany)  (Read 13906 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
350F exhausts from CMS, DSS & AC-Motorradteile (Germany)
« on: May 06, 2015, 06:37:16 PM »
Just took delivery of the new exhausts for the 350F project from CMS. Not cheap at £780 but the only way to do the project right. Opened the box in excited anticipation to find that the quality is absolutely dreadful. Have posted some pictures of the welds to show what I mean. These are completely unusable and should have been sent to the scrap bin not the chromers. What are CMS like for getting a refund. Cheers
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:56:21 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: 350F exhausts from CMS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
CMSNL need to see your pictures. They will send you another set out or refund. They can not look in every box and there customer care is excellent.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
I fully agree with you Trigger. It's the people making this junk that should be ashamed of themselves, not even an attempt to dress the welds before chroming. Nobody would want these on their bikes. Have sent pictures to CMS about it, but I think all the stock will be like this. Had some a month ago from DSS just the same and they have pulled the entire stock. Don't know where to try for exhausts next, lost trust in them now.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
I fully agree with you Trigger. It's the people making this junk that should be ashamed of themselves, not even an attempt to dress the welds before chroming. Nobody would want these on their bikes. Have sent pictures to CMS about it, but I think all the stock will be like this. Had some a month ago from DSS just the same and they have pulled the entire stock. Don't know where to try for exhausts next, lost trust in them now.

I think james has a NOS set. May have sold them by now but, worth a message or a phone call.

Just been on to James and he sold them to a forum member not long ago.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:04:00 PM by Trigger »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18:42 PM »
see what you mean not good but never had a problem with them for returns
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »
Sorry roy tiny tim got mine I'm afraid....

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
Wow, that's shocking Roy.
Hope you get a decent set of replacements from them.
How's it going with the 350 apart from that?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
What a bummer Roy. Are they made in Japan and double skinned headers?  We are so lucky with the Yamiya CB750 ones being double skinned as I gather the Kawasaki Z1 Doremi ones are only single skin.
Let us know how you get on with CMS on returns.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 06:48:48 AM »
I am shocked that in this day and age such bad workmanship is slipping the net
pete

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:23:32 AM »
Had a good look over them and the standard is dreadful. Double skinned Ash, crikey there barely single skinned. The tubes are necked down on the bends, the polishings not done on the difficult bits before chroming, the welds where the pipes meet the silencer are bird s**t. The four pictures don't do justice to just how truly awful these things are. They are just scrap, I'd rather have a 4 into 1 than this.

I missed a second set of NOS pipes just after James sold his (Tim you lucky lucky person) so I ordered some from DSS. They were just the same as the CMS ones so DSS (top guys)ended up pulling the entire stock off the shelves. I notice their back again though, maybe I will give them a ring and see if they found some good ones. Emailed a guy In the States that has some on eBay, he wasn't happy to find he was selling the same junk. All the secondhand pipes that have been on eBay for the past 2 months are just rotted out junk as well.

Am a bit disillusioned now as after the 750F2 , where I discovered exhausts were non existant, I was going to do a 400/4. But as exhausts were readily available I preferred the 350/4. It's beginning to look like I going to end up with a concourse bike with a 4 into1. Waste of money I think. I already have a concourse 750 with an aftermarket exhaust but at least it was designed with a 4 into 1.

Just feel like shutting the garage door and giving up. Although I probably wont.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
350F exhausts from CMS
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
Roy keep going mate, these things have a habit of turning round...I sourced mine from Germany (Andy Cepok) - may be worth dropping him a line to see what he still has in stock? Obviously explain the quality issues you've had with DSS and CMSNL....

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:57:03 AM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »
It's a real pity that Yamiya don't extend the range they do. They are not even planning to remake 400/4 pipes but they must have good manufacturing contacts, possibly with the OEM suppliers to Honda (Sankei etc. ). Anyone remember how long ago it is since Honda discontinued supply of 400/4 exhausts?  What I did with my CB250K0 was source a pair of NOS Genuine Honda pipes and THEN buy a bike to restore.

BTW Roy ...  my 'man' is on with analyzing the rubber from the aftermarket F2 carb rubbers and says he will have an answer tomorrow for us, after I chased him up on it.
Will post this in the correct thread but he says it may be beneficial to post cure the softened ones in  an oven at the maximum temperature they would see in service? Can anyone suggest a temperature or in a position to measure it on a hot engine?

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
Cheers Ash. That's maybe why they went softer on the engine side after a few heat cycles?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
I am glad i hoarded when i did, i have a NOS F2 exhaust, and NOS F2 carb rubbers, i wonder what they would fetch on fleabay
The 350 pipes sound like a nightmare, as demand becomes high for these rare parts amater firms are supplying the market with bad quality, i would have thought DS and CMS had stricter checks before they stock these parts, the for stanchions ds sells for the 750 KO are not much cop neither as you have to do machining to make them fit
pete

Offline ttr400

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • CB400F special machined parts
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I think they must have had a bad batch as if you look on the DSS USA site they are also offering factory seconds at a reduced price, these are not listed on the UK site.
Just about to order a set from DSS UK and i hope they are not like you received, which i suspect are the factory seconds.

Kevin
If you are addicted to the little CB400F then you might want to check out my website.
www.ttr400.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal