Author Topic: Peed off with Paint Stripper . . gonna make my own.  (Read 7313 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Peed off with Paint Stripper . . gonna make my own.
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
Fed up with all of the modern paint strippers.

Got me some Methylene Chloride and a bit of bedtime reading here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xf9to8u1n5t588b/PaintStripper.pdf?dl=0

Watch this space. I know the founder of 'Bartoline' factory round here, who make the worst example of non-efficient stripper I have come across... my wife bumped into him in the pub last night and told him about my cursing and swearing over the last few weeks regarding his product and he is going to investigate it but he's probably straight-jacketed by the EU bureaucrats and not allowed to use methylene chloride .. but 'not this boy' as I am going to make my own. Trouble is Meth. chloride on it's own is not good ... as the 'bedtime reading' above describes. Problem is the text is about as heavy going as the fumes from the methylene chloride  :D

Without reading all of the bo**ocks in the link  I am going to initially  try mixing a really strong caustic soda paste with methylene chloride.

Ash
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:43:37 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Peed off with Paint Stripper . . gonna make my own.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
Ash I was going to give this stuff ago Iv used there products before stripping all manor of coatings from different surfaces with good results.

http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/

I think the one they would recommend was called Solvistrip.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »
Christ Ash, one of these days your going to blow up and take out the entire neighbourhood. ;D ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »
Bloody hell Ash
Chemist, spot welder guru,rubber softening stuff,
what else do you keep in your arsenal.
i'll stick to my bits of wood and resin.
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »
When I used paint stripper on some side panels it wrecked the plastic

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
You ain't on your own with this one Ash,

I'm also a control freak and much prefer to carefully strip and de rust all of my own stuff.
If you can find an old shop with an even older man with a dirty brown coat, he might have some of the original Nitromors tucked away in the back with his supply of adult literature.  I complained bitterly to our factors up here and told him that after application it just sits there an grins at you.  He recommended Rustins Strypit.  Bought some and it's also sh*te. Might as well p*ss on it for all the good it did.  I would wager that more people died of heart attacks after ranting and raving about the EU interference than ever died from the effects of inhaling dichloromethane fumes.   I'm 66 next month and have sprayed cellulose, 2 pack, zinc plated stuff, had garden bonfires, accidentally drank petrol on occasions when it was in the wrong place for immediate use.  I just keep away from 'food' from the Golden Arches.  Let us know what secret formula you end up using.  Just what can the new, improved Nitromors be used for exactly? It's feck all use for paint removal.

Well that's all of my rants used up for this week.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
I got some stuff from my local car finish suppliers. The stuff was lethal and like Brian don't use it on plastic I ruined a Z650 tail price with it.
I thought it was fibre glass but unfortunately it was plastic.
Ever had to ware rubber gloves with the stuff, I would try your local shop first.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
That is so sad oddjob, makes you appreciate your own life and realise how lucky we are
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
Hell so sad plus one of  ex-colleagues from 'Queenies' too Oddjob. My son works for Network Rail and in his previous role had to regularly go to meetings in London with the Samaritans to try to hammer out ways to reduce the ever increasing number of people taking their lives on the rail trackand also reducing the trauma for the unfortunate drivers and staff who have to deal with it.  :(
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
In the 70s, my brother worked on the railways.  He told me about the blood and gore on the undersides of the engines from suicides.  One engine in particular, a Western, had more than it's fair share of blood and guts.  It was Western Queen and the fitters dubbed it  Killer Queen
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »
With regards paint removal, get a electric hot air stripper, having removed 10 × 3 gallon bucketts worth of dried paint in our house during the rennovation I must have tried every method going, including blowtorch. I didn'have access to shot blasting sadly, shot blasting is undoubtedly king of paint removal, especially if the blastef has the right tooling and know how ( and blast media )  the chemical strippers on the markett are rubbish thanks to Eu regs. I am not sure how safe diy production of this stuff is or how legal.... I am pretty sure the electric paint stipping heat gun option is cheapest, and very effective, with abrasive grinder disks desighned for paint removal being also effective appart from on detail, flap disks in a drill also not bad.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Online florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
I used Nitromors in the eighties once and I say once because it was hideous.  The fumes were unbearable, even outside.  I wouldn't use it again unless I had a proper fume cupboard.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
LOL Ash, I never thought that 2 people I knew had committed suicide, you don't think it was me do you  :)

It was this comment Oddjob or was it the same person?

“It's possible I did the PDI on that bike Stew, might even have been the one who test rode her.
Mechanic I used to work with at Queenies went working for the Honda shop, for some reason he committed suicide not long after. Never did find out why he did it”

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
Well a few failures so far (using concentrated caustic soda/ Methylene Chloride (Di-chloromethane) but just 'reverse engineered'  a paint stripper patent CA1236760 A1, which looks really promising and ordered the good stuff chemicals off eBay plus found 500g tub of caustic soda locally for 1.20 GBP.

Bentonite clay (found in  Wyoming USA, where my CB350K1 happened to come from and major ingredient in Kitty Litter!)
Xanthan gum
Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide)

Evidently the trick it to get the caustic into a gel form, then I intend to  possibly add methylene chloride to give it some extra 'kick'.

Will keep you posted on its effectiveness but determined to crack this !!

Ash

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:27:08 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
I love reading about your experiments ash, i am sure you will crack this formula soon
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal