Author Topic: How irritating.  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
How irritating.
« on: May 09, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »
As the 350 has been tacking up most of my spare time, I thought the 550 deserved a little bit of attention.

It's not been running particularly well lately, it runs out of power at 60mph and won't tick properly.  So I decided to try and figure out why.

Checked plugs, valves and static timing and it still played up. I was going to try a carb sync for the first time but there seemed little point if the basic's are  wrong.

Went back through what I had done, read some old forum posts. Then I noticed a problem with the points plate. The screw that adjusts the 1-4 points just spins around. So no matter how many times I set the points gap it wouldn't stay set. Now I'm sure this not the only reason for the poor running of the bike, but it's not going to help.

Time to order a new points set and try again next weekend.

Should have gone shopping with the wife ::)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: How irritating.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
You don't need points mate you need the backplate, probably cheaper to get the complete plate with points, condensers and wiring. Dave Silver does them

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
Cheers, not thinking before typing there. I'll order one later.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
I know that on the 400 Honda used two different types of ignition setups - TEC and ND.
A quick search by part number seems to show the same points plate was used on many SOHC fours.
I don't know what the differences or compatibilities are, the electronic ignition sold by DS says it is only suitable for use with the TEC ATU.
May need to be aware and get the right one.
Coincidentally I have an ND setup (complete points plate and ATU) on eBay at the moment, if that's any help.

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
Cheers Chris, I have a tec set up on my 550 and will pick up a direct replacement.

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
The time has come to give an electronic ignition a go in the 550.
Should get it delivered by the weekend and hopefully have it fitted ready for next week.
I was planning to put a few miles on it this summer so time will tell if it was money well spent.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
Is this the one Silvers sell?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
No, I've used a Newtronic kit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal