Author Topic: Carb Rebuild Question  (Read 1017 times)

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
Carb Rebuild Question
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »
Could do with some help / guidance / experience on carb rebuilding please !

Carbs are all stripped for cleaning and new gaskets & O rings, but it appears someone has already been playing as some of the parts were not in the same order in each carb !

From what I can see in the parts diagram, I should have the following order of parts on each of the throttle shafts that enter the to p of the carb bodies;
•   Captive washer / Spring holder
•   Spring
•   Felt washer ?
•   Stepped plastic bush that locates into the body housing

And then inside the carb body;
•   Plain plastic bush ~ 4mm wide
•   Throttle / slider arm with securing screw and lock tab

Does that sound right ?

Next question re’ needle valves – I’ve renewed the O ring, but the valve body now doesn’t sit very far into the casting and as a result the locating tab does not sit flat against the casting.  So either I’ve used an O ring that’s too fat, or, it’s normal for a new O ring, and I should adjust the float height to compensate  - any thoughts or experience please ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Rebuild Question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
Andy,
Just had a look at a [probably scrap] carb I have.
Sequence of parts looks correct to me, washer between spring and plastic bush is metal, probably plated.
I replaced needle valves using parts from a Cruzinimage kit which many others seem to have also used.
As I recall they were quite a snug fit, twisting gently got them to seat where they should.
Chris

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Rebuild Question
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
Thanks Chris !

I also have the Cruzin Image kits, but elected to use the original needle valves which looked fine with new o rings - I'll check vs. the new C I valve & O ring to get them seated better - the way they are now just doesn't look right !

Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal