Author Topic: South Wales newbie  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
South Wales newbie
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »
Hello, im Matt from south wales and im just about to start a chop project. Its a 70's chopper frame, girder forks and a Honda CB 550 four engine,. I can guarantee you gents ill be picking your brains as im no bike builder and no very little about engines. First bit of advice i need is whats the best route to go down with the engine? I have the Haynes manual for the bike, is best to sit down with the manual and the engine and go through it? Thanks in advance.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: South Wales newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:16:44 PM »
Hi and welcome.
If you're interested, the South Wales section of the VJMC meet up at the Red Lion in Bonvilston on the last Saturday of the month from 2:00.  I'll be there on my 400four.  Hope to see you.  It doesn't matter if you haven't got a bike to use yet, come anyway.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:20:21 PM »
That's good to know. Thanks, I'll be the one asking all the questions. As they say if you don't ask you'll never know. Do you know of any one local that can help with the engine? I think once the engine is sorted I'll be ok (ish) lol.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
On my cb550's I just bung the exhausts on plus carbs, check oil and tempoary fuel supply, and bench test the engine, if it tests out ok then personally I tend to run them as they are. I did once have a cb550 chop project but decided there were too many question marks about the frame and who / how well welded it was plus it was quite deffinately not streight. I do have a few bits around still from it.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
It came with 2 engines, both in bits though. I'm no engine builder at all, need some hands on advice and on the job training. Lol.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 06:34:04 AM »
Well that is how I learnt, 2 or 3 in bits engines that came with an in bits chop. First step check you have 2 550 engines, and that there are enough bits to make at last 1 engine- on mine the engines turned out to be from the 500 so the spares bike I bought for the cluch and casing was pretty useless. Follow the haynes manual, ask here if the manual gives helpfull advise about putting it back together in reverse of disassembly order - really not helpfull if you didn't disassemble it. I would think loosly re assemble it to get some idea of how it goes together and see what is missing might be a good first move if you have never done an engine before, then follow the manual regards strip down and inspection. Again any bits needed, here or ebay.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 07:15:15 AM »
If you want to come to Gloucester with all the bits some therapy/tuition may be arrangeable

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »
Don't try it without a manual
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
Thanks gents, i have the manual so thats a start. The engines look identical so hopefully they are the same, brought some parts into work today we have ultrasonic cleaners here, i turned the temp down a bit so it doesnt f**k anything up.

I might take you up on the offer of some tuition if i get stuck.

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
Im going to start a thread in the Project board on the build, please feel free to comment and give advice. Thanks.

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
Hi and good luck with the project

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Another chop  ;)

Good luck with your build.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
Thanks Mick, allways loved the style of a chopper from when i first saw many moons ago as a kid. Divorce and boredom has given the time and space now to do it. Its in my living room, luckily i have a town house and have moved the living room upstairs. lol. Gonna have to stay single now until its finished.  ;D

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »
Is it the Honda manual or the Haynes---lots of difference, parts book can be handy as well

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal