Author Topic: Time for me to move on.  (Read 6346 times)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Time for me to move on.
« on: May 16, 2015, 02:02:13 AM »
After my two bikes were nearly stolen and the way the 550 is going downhill without a garage I've decided to get a new bike that won't rust outdoors.
Two choices at the minute.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Time for me to move on.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »
I like both colours, which is your favourite
pete

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
I know where you are comming from, my current daily ride is an ntv 650, cost £380 with tax and test, looks shockingly scruffy but years left in it - shaft drive is a boon for an easy life. One of the issues affecting my cb500/4 was that some scrote was meddling with it when it was parked outside work at 2 am, and though I never could find that they had actually done any more than try starting it , it never ran right afterwards for any length of time. The old cb500 and 550 dont appriciate rain and outdoors living if not looked after, especially if equipped with original tinwork. I would tentatively suggest a cb550 with a fiberglass rear muddy, seatbase and really well treated front gaurd would be no more likely to suffer from outdoor storage than those bikes.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
Well, my 550's rear wheel is starting to go, the headlight and indicators all starting to rust. So I figure the less chrome the better.
I prefer the yellow but the r/w/b one only has 19k on the clock.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
As long as the spokes are not pitted it is shocking how bad cb wheels can look and last and still be sound. But it is a shame to watch them deteriorate if they could still be restroed to very good. A good wash down with wash and wax shampoo and spray with duck oil does do wonders to preserve them though.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline petersy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
I find that the spokes come up a treat with a scouring pad.

I used 3 types on my CB550, red , green and grey, depending on how bad they are pitted.

It takes some time to do each individual spoke, but it's worth it in the end.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
Les, the CBR is a bullet proof engine as long it has it has been serviced right. Things to look out for are the disc crack beween the holes when they start to get on the thin side. Good chain and sprocket kit can set you back £75+  ;)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:36:23 AM »
I did that and I'm sorry I did. Rusted 100 times quicker.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
r/w/b bike is a 1 owner 19000 mile bike Trig. Going to see it tomorrow

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
Can't go far wrong with a CBR Les I know someone that buys them almost religiously I think the last one he sold had one hundred thousand on it.
They seem to be bolted together well and stand up to being left outside quit well.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »
Yeah Mick. I did a bit of research beforehand. Only 600's. Suzuki has an awful wide seat, just don't really like Yamaha, Kawasaki is a bit extreme. I don't like those Bandit/Hornet/Fazer things. The CBR seems like a good all-rounder. I haven't been on anything this extreme since the 80's GSXR1100, it should be fun.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »
I couldn't believe how small the CBR felt compared to my Speed four.I wish I went for the Honda as it would have been more reliable than the Triumph.The clip ons will feel a bit extreme for awhile.  ;) 

Mick   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
If you go for a CBR its got to be red,white&blue.  8)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »
That rwb above is within walking distance from me. Going to try and view it tomorrow.

I love yellow.  :-\

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
The clip ons will feel a bit extreme for awhile.  ;) 

Mick
I'll look for some adjustable replacements.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal