Author Topic: CB750 K2: Anybody have a spare set of oil lines  (Read 3059 times)

rhos1355

CB750 K2: Anybody have a spare set of oil lines
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a set of oil lines.
The saga to date is that clever prat me decided I wanted those swanky braided ones.
So I did a bit of searching a found a not so local shop the guy on the phone sounded pretty clued up & said they'd done them many a time previously.
Well, when I managed to wangle half a day from work and got there a week later, the guy made them just a mite too long.
So now, without removing the oil tank from the frame, there's NO WAY it can secure the ends to the engine and to the tank spigots.
Hence my predicament: I'm back to square one...........no hoses.
any ideas?

Cheers

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 K2: Anybody have a spare set of oil lines
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
Havent got K but I think I got a set of F

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
When you say a "Mite too long" how much is that? It's not too hard to remove the tank from the frame. Connect pipes finger tight and put tank back in then spanner up. If they are only a tiny bit too long they should bend in okay. I had stainless ones made up and they were very stiff to bend so that's what I did, worked a treat. It's a bit fiddly to do mind.  If it works your back on the road. Or did I miss something?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:52:40 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

rhos1355

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »
I really don't know how much longer as I don't have anything to compare it with any more.
The front one worked a treat, and looked great but the the back one was a different story. I can assure you that i tried everything to make it 'sit' properly. I also tried the method you described: fingertight connections then remount the oil tank. but it was taking nigh on super human force to 'bend' it to what I felt would be a workable route. Then of course, it was impossible to remount the tank. The hose nearest the tank connection was bulging alarmingly, to the extent where I just thought it it wasn't going to be long before something gave and I'd end up looking at a puddle of oil on the shed floor. So it seemed to me that there was too much hose to squeeze into the distance.

Bryan, any idea if they are the same size?

rhos1355

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
Could it be down to different "grades" or thicknesses of hose. Might a thinner or lower pressure rating hose do the trick?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 12:31:11 AM »
Tanks are a different shape but you can have an F tank as well

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
Could be the K2 has a different route for the pipes than the F2? As Bryan says the tanks are different. I have a spare F2 tank you can have if Bryan can't find his. What about connecting to the tank first then measuring the o-ring end to see how much too long it is, then you can have the guy remake that hose.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:15:07 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

rhos1355

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Ok, gonna give it another try this arvo but I don't hold much hope.
The measuring the distance trick is a bit of a long shot 'cos there is only one route the pipe should take and that's the proper route which is a bit hit and miss to replicate with a coat-hanger wire or something. You can only verify the proper length and route once you've assembled the hose to the fittings and then to the tank to the engine.
At least that's my take on it.
Royhall, the hoses on your first pic seems the dog's, where did you have them made?

rhos1355

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »
have just spotted some hoses on e-bay............I'll lay down a bid on those and see what happens.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
Had the hoses made at a local hydraulics supplier in Thornton-Cleveleys called Powerfit, on Redmarsh Industrial Estate. He did say they were a pig to do. But importantly I took him the 4 polished alloy ends and a full set of pipes for him to copy as you need to get the angles perfect. Particularly on one of the pipes (cant remember which now). They were a bit stiff to go on at first, but certainly not a brute force fit. Sounds like one of yours is a good way too long.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

rhos1355

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
well, I'm back to square 1. Square -10, to be honest.
Refitted the hose and managed to lock the oil tank in place, but the kink just after the coupling on the tank spigot was so bad, I thought there's no way oil is going to pass that to drain into the engine.
I had the mesmerising idea that maybe, maybe the crimped coupling is too long? So I proceeded to chisel/saw the coupling off the hose. Just to see if my theory was right. Anyway, to cut a long story I ended up ruining the end fitting.
So I will have to wait on that E-bay sale, if it comes through.
I'm still convinced that the braided hoses are too inflexible for this route.
Would c-clips on the fittings instead of those crimper hydraulic couplings do the trick?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
If you have the alloy ends, Earls performance products at Silverstone (01803869850 do the pipes and ends that can be adjusted once on the bike. If you tell them its for a CB750 they will know what you require  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
Wemoto also do the adjustable pipe >>> http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/HZ-OILLINECB750/

rhos1355

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Thanks Trigger, will give them both a call.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal