Author Topic: K1 Fork Pistons  (Read 3003 times)

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
K1 Fork Pistons
« on: May 30, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
 Hi Guys,
              I know this is an old subject but does anyone know where to get a K1 fork piston from as mine are missing .My bike was fitted with 6 in extended forks and with a different oil control compared to standard . Someone said a cb650 will fit ,is this true ? .  Cheers ,Alan .

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: K1 Fork Pistons
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
If you mean 51442-300-000 item 5 in image DS can special order them. Not sure how long it would take though

You could  make your own possibly. Mine are apart at the mo so I could measure them

Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
Hi Ash ,
            Thanks for the info , I was given a part No 51442 319 000  from DS but as it may turn out that I might not have K1 Forks but K3 .I am looking into this now . The sliders look the same but the stanchions are different .It is very difficult to identify parts from different years being fitted over the life of the bike .If it turns out mine are incorrect I will let you know .Thanks again , Alan .

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »
K1 and early K3 have the same stanchions (apart from some USA K3 units). Put a picture so we can see what type forks you have.

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
Hi Guys ,
                I`m feeling a bit of a prat at the moment .I have found them jammed at the bottom of the sliders . I could not shift them so have taken them to a local Kawasaki  dealer for any ideas . He said the only way was to heat up the outer slider so they should drop out . I will keep you posted . Pity I had them polished first !!!!!!!!.   Alan .

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
Hi Ash ,
            Thanks for the info , I was given a part No 51442 319 000  from DS but as it may turn out that I might not have K1 Forks but K3 .I am looking into this now . The sliders look the same but the stanchions are different .It is very difficult to identify parts from different years being fitted over the life of the bike .If it turns out mine are incorrect I will let you know .Thanks again , Alan .

319  .. That's a CB450 part, which according to CMS is superceded to the -300-part, so possibly the same.

Here is my Dropbox link with all of the parts and genuine shop manuals for K0-> K7/F2 . it's a  massive download 110 meg but well worth it, unless you are 'bikepusher' who said he preferred his Haynes manual before he left us  ;)

If they do turn out to be much later forks, I don't know what parts K7 forks have in them but I have a complete scrap pair in my shed (stanchions really pitted).

Ash

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf?dl=0

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Thanks Ash for that info , it looks like they are K1 forks now I have found the pistons and all of the spring clips . Just hoping he can shift them without doing too much damage . Thanks , Alan .

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »
Alan - are you talking about the damper rods that are secured to the fork lowers with a single allen bolt from the underside of the front axle ?

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
Hello James,
                   No its the piston that is fitted to the bottom of the stanchion ,Its come of the stanchion at some stage and hammered itself into the bottom of the slider and jammed there . Cheers ,Alan .

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »
Got you - so you're talking about the compression and rebound damper valve parts..

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
Hi James ,
                That's right .Got the pistons out but they do not fit the new stanchions from DS . It looks like they need machining out or honing out a few thou to go on , At least I have all the parts now thank God .

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
Hi James ,
                That's right .Got the pistons out but they do not fit the new stanchions from DS . It looks like they need machining out or honing out a few thou to go on , At least I have all the parts now thank God .

Those stanchions from DS are made in Italy and are chromed at the bottom and shouldn't be. I got mine from Yamiya, they are made in Japan and are not chromed at the bottom, hence they don't need grinding. Price is about the same if you buy from Saisei (I paid 170GBP a pair landed).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:03:38 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 08:08:33 PM »
Hi Ash,
            The funny thing is that the old extended stanchions are chromed all the way down but the pistons fit a treat ? .So  what you are saying is that I should machine the stanchions to fit the pistons  , sounds logical to me ,Cheers , Alan .

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 08:53:59 PM »
Hi Ash,
            The funny thing is that the old extended stanchions are chromed all the way down but the pistons fit a treat ? .So  what you are saying is that I should machine the stanchions to fit the pistons  , sounds logical to me ,Cheers , Alan .

PM UKPete as he fitted the DSS ones and complained that they were not correct. hence I bought the Yamiya ones but I still have not assembled them .. or Trigger will probably know. I did pass on the complaint to David Silver himself but he couldn't provide any tech details from his supplier so I voted with my feet and got them off Saisei

cheers  Ash
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:57:30 PM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal