Author Topic: Pull/Push throttle cable  (Read 973 times)

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
Pull/Push throttle cable
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »
Gents, im going to be asking alot of very amateurish questions on here as im totally new to biking and im trying to learn. I have a cb500 project going on and today is my day for scouring the net for spares. todays first question is What is the push part of the pull/push throttle set up?  Thanks.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pull/Push throttle cable
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
not sure what you are asking, but one cable opens the carbs and the other closes them along with the return spring.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »
So i need them both to operate the throttle? Can you just use a spring to close the carbs? Sorry if these are stupid questions, just trying to learn.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
There are no stupid questions if you haven't done it before, the push cable is to positively close the throttle against the air flow under the slides and a spring big enough to do it with no help will give you a right bicep like Popeyes

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:11:12 PM »
In practice I have gotten away with a broken cable on the return pull but that doesn't mean it is a good idea, as I recall I got home from work ok but did feel the need to replace it, and I will put up with a fault that most would not, before now I have ridden my cb500 home with no throttle cables at all, by just winding the tickover screw to the stop and maxing the choke, a ride that was quite unpleasant to say the least. At the end of the day that return cable is there to stop the carb sticking open, and Honda presumably thought that it might.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Spanner1972

• SOHC Associate
  • Novice bike builder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal