Author Topic: Cb500 four carb re-build  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Cb500 four carb re-build
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:18:43 AM »
Last night I've started dismantling the carbs, everything is out now, but I can't get them clean at all, I've soaked everything in cabs cleaner and then used a brush to help. But there is still rust or corrosion I don't know what's that stuck on the walls.

Any tips? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cb500 four carb re-build
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »
I had a few stationary engine carbs like that and found a bit of washing up liquid and a sonic cleaning bath, mine was £30 or so at Lidl, so not anything fancy or expensive was enough with a toothbrush to scrub afterwards had the carb sufficiently cleaned to do its job. I had the sonic cleaning bat running for a whole afternoon mind, just for 1 carb, you have 4. Probably worth getting someone with better sonic cleaning baths than the cheap ones.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
What if i take them for professional cleaning? How much could it cost?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
I think when my mate was offering this service he was asking £10 per carb, but that was a while back.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
I'm going to try soda blasting this afternoon. http://youtu.be/KULVhW2tw4I

Offline Toe_Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 12:29:46 AM »
Hey Noelia,

I guess you have sorted this now but will reply for anyone searching in the future. I think this is Aluminium Oxide, usually caused by water ingress. My number 4 float bowl was caked and I had the same difficulty getting rid. However, a QUICK brush with 15% hydrochloric and a thorough rinse completely removed it. I had before and after pictures but they were on the phone I lost (along with all my build pictures to date).

Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.
I'm dyslexic so don't be an aerosol about my spelling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal