Author Topic: wiring tidying  (Read 4697 times)

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
wiring tidying
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
good morning,
after having "allocated the wiring diagram to the bike i need a few tips on
- wrapping it all.
(I was thinking of heat shrinking tubing but most of them come in small length)
- where exactly is tied to the frame.
(are plastic cable ties any good?)

Thanks
el__burro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: wiring tidying
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
I used heat shrink tubing and self fusing silicone tape from B&Q to wrap up any loose wires on my wiring, for clipping the harness to the frame I bought new Honda clips from DSS.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Online neat street

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:47 PM »
you can buy heat shrink in long lengths (try e-bay, or seen it at some bike events/shows. you will need to also work out the right diameter, and this will get smaller (or larger) depending where you are working from), but it is expensive, I would use some short pieces (10mm) to get the run right, and go over the top with the full run, but you will still have some issues as the wires come out in different directions over the length. Dennis`s idea works.
( E-bay link)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Heat-Shrink-Tube-Sleeve-Various-Sizes-Lengths-/160809668245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item257100ce95

Good luck
John
CB500 1973
CB750F 1976
KLX250 1983
Lambretta SX200
Mini Mayfair 1984

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
where about to the frame it needs to be attached?
any pictures would be great.
thanks
el__burro

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »
brown wire dilemma.
i am in the process of sorting the wires to fit in the heat shrink tube.
the issue is the brown wire (tail light)
it goes from the key switch through the fuse and to tail light, but there is also another one that i am not sure where it should go.
on the K2 wiring diagram is not there but i have found it on K6 (it says NC).
shall i leave it out or to front headlight?
thanks
el__burro

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:15:26 AM »
Hi El Burro,

The wiring diagrams you show are non-UK in that the (headlamp bowl) parking lamp is not there.
I can't think what NC stands for, but this connector (in your case) ought to go on up to the headlamp & is that small parking lamp +ve feed.

The attached showing this (front) parking lamp; a CB400F diagram, but good enough.

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:21:19 AM by Lobo »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »
NC probably No Connection for models that don't have the front parking light.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
So I shall move it to the front headlight.
Thanks

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Steve... why can't I figure out such things!

There's me thinking 'Northern Canada'..... and my brain became full-up there....could move no further.

Prob explains why I'm so crap at word games etc!

Yea El Burro... if you're planning on a Parking light option they yup... run the wire all the way up-front.

Simon

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
Northern Canada would clearly need the lights on constantly as it is dark for 90% of the year. I've been there and saw loads of mountain bikes but not a single motorcycle.

Not surprising as even as far south as Montreal you'd need skis not wheels between October and April.

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
battery cables;
i need to replace both battery cables but i am not sure what to look for.
can i do it myself or better shop around.
1 guess 1 metre would do fine for both red and black.
what capacity do i need?

thanks
el__burro

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
wiring tidying
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 11:32:59 PM »

no rear light, when i push either brake the tail light comes on (even if only the yellow/green is plugged in) strangely also the front pilot light (brown cable) comes on.
not sure what to try next.
i have followed the wiring precisely.
bulbs and wiring all good.

green is hearth?
brown is live?
yellow/green is brake switch.

thanks
el__burro

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Hi El Burro,

Ok. What you need to do is to find the Brown / White that exits the handlebar light switch - and check that it's live (12V) when the handlebar switch is in ANY ON position.  This wire then feeds the instrument illumination lamps (are they working correctly?) AND also runs back to the main ignition key switch. (so check all headlamp connectors, frame spine under tank etc)

As just mentioned, when the lights are ON (side / main / high) this Brown / White feeds 12v back to the ignition key switch, which if in the ON position then internally connects it to the BROWN coming out of the ignition key switch.

This BROWN then runs to both the front & back of the bike, to power your tail & park lights.

What's happening (somehow) is that you've wired you're brake switch GREEN / YELLOW to the tail lamp BROWN - which explains why the tail +  park light is coming on as well with brake selection.

My guess is the wiring fault might be in the connectors under the back of the seat area / above the mudguard - OR some PO has substituted colours.

No matter... using your multimeter confirm you get 12v out of the YELLOW / GREEN @ brake on (IGN ON obviously) ...... and then connect this wire to either of the two tail light wires that illuminates the 21W brake lamp. ((& yup, it ought to also be a GREEN / YELLOW) (DO NOT connect this GREEN / YELLOW to the GREEN coming from the rear lamp as this should be an Earth.

Next verify that the BROWN is live @ lights switch ON (IGN ON obviously) and connect this to the rear lamp wire which illuminates the 5W tail lamp (& indeed park lamp). Again, be very careful not to connect the BROWN to any GREEN.

Clear as mud eh?

Good luck, it's only spaghetti...

Simon

PS - your prev post, bit late perhaps but I'd be thinking 120A (minimum rating)... try here

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/751/category/124

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:02:04 PM by Lobo »

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
wiring tidying
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:40:46 AM »
Thanks Lobo,
After checking the brown/white wire and connecting it properly I finally have the rear light coming on ( and no pilot when braking).
The new issue is that the tail light stays on even when i turn the light off.
Other issue are
No speedo light (it could be a dodgy connections as it worked as soon as i swapped wires)
No parking light (i guess they should come on with the key in P2).
I must say that my light switch is a On Off On one.
I have wired it with the black in the middle, blue (high beam) and white (low beam) the the two other sides.

Thanks
El__burro
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:50:39 AM by El__burro »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »
Hi again,

Forgive me, a few questions:

1/ is the bike a K6.... in which case (conventionally) the tail lamp + LOW beam came on with IGN (but were temporarily unpowered when the start switch was pressed)

2/ just to confirm, your 'new' (non-standard) handlebar switch has a central feed, and then simply switches power to one of two other wires exiting it? (Your very last sentence is confusing... "... and white low beam the OTHER TWO sides" if this last sentence is correct can you try & explain (with a diag best) how the switch works?

3/ if it is a K6, using your K6 wiring diagram provided earlier, the power feed to the main handlebar light switch should be a BROWN/RED (I think - poor quality) - you're using a BLACK which is perm live with ignition. Won't make a lot of difference other than LOW beam will remain on during cranking & make starting harder etc.

4/ does the engine starter switch have 3 wires going to it, ie a BLACK, WHITE/BROWN, BLACK/RED.

5/ yup, on the K6 (using your drag) the rear lamp should come on @ P2, inc the small front Parking lamp if you've wired it to the BROWN wire which feeds the rear lamp.

If you can answer all of the above I'll try & condense your wiring woes onto a fag-packet sketch to hopefully ascertain where it's all going wrong.

Happy Saturday...hmm.

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal