Author Topic: Rubber seal?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Pokey

• View Profile
Rubber seal?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »
Hi all,
   Iv'e  noticed on my 400 that there is a gap between the top and bottom halves of the housings for the handlebar switches. I have taken the right hand side off to see whats preventing the halves from closing right up, and the wires and clamp are clear. All I can think of, is that there could be a thin rubber seal missing, but cant say I have noticed a seal on previous bikes I have had. The handle bars are standard by the way.
If any one can advise, great!!
Cheers,  Clive

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber seal?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »
There's no seal.  Check that the loom from the switch are secured with the plate and screw and the cables go into the hole in the handlebars properly.
  • Try each half onto the handle bar on its own.
    Try the two halves together without the handlebar.

Other than a oversize handlebar or using a handlebar without holes for the loom, it should all fit
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »
As Mike says, definitely no seal. I had the same problem when putting mine back on the handlebars. Started off with a 10mm gap and found the bundle of black wires which go through the handlebars were in the way a tad. Try and compress the bundle down as much as you can and make sure the metal plate is screwed down tight also. Managed it in the end with a bit of fiddling with my little hands and fingers and loads of swearing  ;D ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Pokey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »
Ok, thanks for that, I think when I get time(cos it looks a bit fiddly), is take the wiring out of the handle bars and re wrap it.  The wiring does look a bit bulky,might be better with some shrink on wiring shroud. Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
The trouble with shrink wrap is as it shrinks the thickness increases and it gets stiffer as a result.  try to use the non shrinking sleeving.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal