Author Topic: Well worth the money  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Well worth the money
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:56:18 AM »
it does look good,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
it does look good,

I know the bike john  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
Are those my old exhausts on there Graham?

No mate, the exhausts on the black one have been re-chromed. Yours are on the gold one.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »
Mint
Have a loooong way to go with mine...
 ;D
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

Here is the new set of 323's

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Nice bike Trig, tank trim looks familiar too  :) :)

Sorry that you can't see the gear box parts  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:07 AM »
Yes, i did use the OE clips but, used BMW harness tape to cover the tank rim first, so it is not biting the paint.
You are thinking about the CB500K1 & K2 on the helmet holder stickers. The KO front helmet holder is part of he seat lock, so is at the rear of the side panel. I did have a shed load of information from the yanks, German and Italian owners on the location of these and they seemed to be located in two places on the side panel and frame. The rear sticker is out of sight just under the seat.
Just had a member view the bike yesterday as he is resorting a USA unit and wanted reference's to the detail of different parts. Cheers for the parts on this build Oddjob the exhausts and trim really made the bike what it is.And it wouldn't be doing anywhere without those gear box parts.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
All stickers are in place, even the Showa 323 on the shocks. Got the shocks from the states, came off a 9,000 mile bike with the original showa sticker still in perfect condition.You can always buy the pipes back but, they will come with the bike mate ;)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 07:15:42 AM »
and that means a mixture of the 500 and the 550
Could you give some details?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:48:33 AM »

No mate, the exhausts on the black one have been re-chromed. Yours are on the gold one.

What did you pay for re-chroming Graham and who did it?

Gorgeous looking bikes BTW
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »
what Honda used on the K2 version
It's amazing how many of the mods you described are standard on my 1976 CB500K2 (ED), which btw differs from the USA 500K2 (1973). Mine has the bigger clocks, the safety switch, 3 fuses and shares many things with the CB550K2 (1976) that was not exported to Europe. Here's a good vid of mine (not really mine, this is owned by an Italian, but I have the same). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux89PppUsxU
Stupid enough I left the grabrail (changed for a luggagerack) at my former address. So stupid, because that grabrail gave the bike that slick appearance. Mine has done 100.000 kms more than his but idles much nicer. Note that our Italian friend didn't fasten the front axle clamps the right way. Also I wouldn't rev it that high without load.
Mine is original except for the Koni's in the rear, forsaid luggage rack and a set of Voxbell horns that has a loud and distinctive sound.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:44:27 PM by deltarider »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
The top yoke isn't the same as the 500K1, more like the 550 as it uses the smaller fork clamp bolts.
Well spotted (as captain Mainwaring would say). The 7mm clamp bolts (instead of the 8mm) is one of the things shared with the CB550K2. No need for these D shaped washers anymore. The center grease niple (that I hate btw) is another thing.
Why you'd fit a 18" front wheel is beyond me but I suppose it might handle ok.

I didn't, he, the Italian did.
Never knew the K2 had the throttle cruise control arrangement, looks like 550 switchgear as well.
Correct but I doubt it was ment as a cruise control.

One thing I forgot to mention looking at the vid was the chain guard, I always hated that big old black plastic chainguard on the 500 so I adapted the chrome 550 one to fit, not that hard really, just a new hole and tap the new thread.
Ah, you like shiny things. Me? Mwah. See below.

Surprised they kept the fork gaiters as the bike looks better without them, like the 550F, ok they serve a very useful function but they look dowdy and they do tend to mask you've blown a fork seal for a long while. All in all I prefer the naked look of the 550F but that's just me
I disagree here with you. I'm not particular fond of shiny parts but prefer the classic look of these wonderful gaiters. How many can say that with 134.000 kms they have not changed one forkseal yet. Thanks to them gaiters.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:12:09 PM by deltarider »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »

What did you pay for re-chroming Graham and who did it?

Gorgeous looking bikes BTW

The ones on the black 500 were done by > vehicleandgeneralelectroplaters.co.uk and i think it was £450 cash. The ones on the gold 500 are out of the box ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal