Author Topic: Bike was running. Now won't start.  (Read 3858 times)

Offline dbscots

• View Profile
Bike was running. Now won't start.
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
I'm having a problem with my '76 400f perhaps someone can shed a light on.  I had the bike running pretty well after installing a Dyna ignition.  Idling very nicely at 1100rpm.  The plugs were a little sooty however, so while I was doing some minor adjustments of the mixture, it died.  Now it will not start.  It doesn't sound like it even wants to start.  I have a tank full of fresh gas.  Good spark on all cylinders.  I'm using gl1000 coils.  I do have to charge the battery a bit to get it up to 12.5 volts but I've been doing that for a while and it always started before.  any ideas?
Thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Bike was running. Now won't start.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
GL1000 coils are not a good idea as they are 9 volt coils run via a ballast resistor which is cut out on starting like old Vauxhalls and Fords with a resistor wire. You can get a spark outside the cylinder which fails under compression, plus with the wrong coils you may have done in the electronic ignition

Offline dbscots

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »
The information about the gl1000 coils I got from another sohc forum.  I remover the ballast resistor.  If I had fried the ignition, I wouldn't be gettng a good spark at the plug, would I?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 11:22:53 PM »
Anything is possible with electronics and coils can fire happily outside but fail under compression, how can it possibly be OK to run a 9volt coil at 12volts continuously!

Offline dbscots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »
I have no idea.  But you said it yourself,  "anything is possible with electronics."  There were a lot of people on the other forum that were successfully running gl1000 coils without the ballast resistor.  just for a moment let's consider that the coils are not the problem.  what else could be involved here?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 07:58:45 AM »
Three things stop an engine
(1) lack of fuel in the correct proportion
(2) lack of ignition at the correct time
(3) lack of compression

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
Lack of air.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
Why are you using Goldwing coils  ???

Offline dbscots

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »
I got some information from another forum that indicated you could get a much stronger spark with the gl1000 coils.  Another plus was that they were a match for the mounting posts on the cb400.  I found this to  be true.  They produced a very strong spark. 
The bike was starting almost instantly and once I got the carbs synchronized, it was running pretty good although a little rich.  As I said, while I was adjusting the mixture the bike quit and now simply will not start.  I'm hoping that someone has an idea that can help me get this thing running again.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
Like I said 9 volt coild run at 12 volt will never last

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
Anything is possible with electronics and coils can fire happily outside but fail under compression, how can it possibly be OK to run a 9volt coil at 12volts continuously!

Had that the other day on a Triumph, lovely spark but, no spark under compression.

Offline dbscots

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 12:52:49 AM »
I will look into the possibility of no spark under compression.  I still have the old coils.  I'll put them back on and see what happens.

Offline dbscots

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
Okay, I swapped the gl1000 coils for the stock ones and there was no difference  To tell you the truth, I've never heard of the concept of plugs not firing under compression. You learn something new every day.  So, assuming it's not the ignition system, what else could make a bike that was running pretty nicely suddenly quit and then just not start again?

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »

Had that the other day on a Triumph, lovely spark but, no spark under compression.
A triumph! Never trig
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »
As Bryanj has already pointed out, lack of fuel in the correct proportion (or a total lack of) will mean the engine will not run.
You say you have a tank full of fresh gas, is it getting anywhere?
Can't see any mention of this having been checked.
Is there possibly a blockage in the fuel tap or the pipe between tap and carbs?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal