Author Topic: Pattern part rims from DSS  (Read 3496 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Pattern part rims from DSS
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »
Hi. Looking at trying to save a bit of cash on the 350 build. Its turning into the usual money pit again. Just looking at the Union Cycle wheel rims that DSS are offering. They say "the same quality at a fraction of the price" but we've all heard that before. As I'm getting a bit disillusioned with pattern parts, has anybody used these parts before and whats the quality like. Better to know before I order this time. Thanks all.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Pattern part rims from DSS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
There is a post on here somewhere from Dave Silver, and he said: the D.I.D was the Rolls royce and the patten ones were Lada ;)

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »
I used them on my 400 Cafe project, they were cheaper than the quote I got for re-chroming the DID's which I sold on ebay for about the same price I paid for the DSS rims, as it is a special and not a restoration they are fine but if I was doing a proper resto I would have got the originals re-chromed. There are some pictures of them here at the bottom of the page and on the following page when I was building the wheels.

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
There is a post on here somewhere from Dave Silver, and he said: the D.I.D was the Rolls royce and the patten ones were Lada ;)

Both crap then  ;)

Offline Tiny Tim

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »
I got my rims from David at Saisei. Did rims cheaper than DSS
Might be worth giving him a call.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »
"David Silver Spares wrote: "Hi Ashley Derrick, cannot seem to log in, have registered and been accepted. Here is my Resonse : DID rims; definetely the Rolls Royce of wheel rims and suppliers to Honda as original equipment rims. Of course, these are the most expensive but we stock them for all SOHC's. Union Cycle rims; Made in Thailand, quality OK, have had some CB400F's where the holes needed reaming out slightly. OK for a wheel builder to build, tricky for individuals if this is found. Only available for smaller bikes up to CB400F, have used them many times on our own CB400F restorations. Sumitomo rims: The 'Lada' rim, fits, works but the joins are crude (agricultural) and the chrome is not the best. Chinese made but to be fair, a price to match and if you don't intend to fit it to a show bike but one that will get occasional use in Summer, this rim will be fine. Only available for CB500-750's. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for and by keeping 3 brands we are trying to suit all requirements and pockets."

That was from January 2014.

Rechroming old rims is around 100-> 110 GBP each.

Ash
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:45:42 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
They appear to like the Union Cycle rims from Thailand. Wouldn't want to touch the Chinese ones though. If they are using them on there own 400f rebuilds I would have thought they would be okay?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
Cracking deal on later style 400/4 DID rims from Yamiya via Saisei (same as DS flogs but way cheaper). would be worth him sea freighting a batch in as I gather from James that the airfreight is quite expensive. Personally, I hate the side scripting on those later style DID rims but I am just a picky, obsessive b*gger and nowt wrong with them in all honesty..
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
Okay the consensus of opinion appears to be DID rims from Saisei, so that's the way the projects heading. Will see what the best price is. Thanks all.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
There is nothing wrong with the DSS Union Cycle rims if you aren't fussy about authenticity.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
What's the chrome like Bodd? Not bothered about authenticity too much as the exhaust will be a Mivv system. Plus I've got  £135 credit to spend at dss.😆

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
The chrome is fine, so is the quality of the wheel, when I built them there were no blemishes, no sharp or rough edges and unlike mentioned in the David Silver quote I didn't have to ream any of the holes for the spoke studs.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
The chrome is fine, so is the quality of the wheel, when I built them there were no blemishes, no sharp or rough edges and unlike mentioned in the David Silver quote I didn't have to ream any of the holes for the spoke studs.

What DS prtobably means is that they are drilled for a disc front hub and if you use on a drum brake like CB250/350k then the hole drilling angle is different. Devon rims also make nice quality rims for Jap bikes and they will drill the holes  to suit the hub. About the same prices as the DID ones from DS or a rechrome. They would probably miss the Made in England logo off if you asked as they manufacture. They also do highly polished stainless. I saw a CB250K0 on eBay once with them on and they looked nice.

Ash

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Had a price off Devon at the Staffordshire show. £580 for both wheels supplying rims and spokes plus build. Too rich for me.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »
At Stafford show the Devon Rims were 110 each though Roy and TBF they were cracking good quality. My DID original style re-chromes cost 110 each by coincidence. In addition,  just won two auctioned NOS but rechromed due to 'shelf rash' original DID rims (one disc one drum pattern holes, both 1.60 x 18") last week  off eBay UK for 100 GBP each. One of the only items I have bought for bikes that was actually better than described off eBay UK, which can be a veritable minefield of absolute sh*te IMHO. The seller is getting me details of where they were re-chromed , when he's back from holiday.

Ash
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:54:22 PM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal