Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 7963 times)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »
Well after3 months of waiting I will hopefully be collecting my new bike tomorrow, a 1975 CB500 four. So a few questions:-

How do I tell which model it is? & from a mechanical point of view does it make any difference when buying spares?

The tyres on it are unused but will be at least 5 years old (Avon RoadRunners) should I replace them? I feel I probably should but what do others think?

Oil? Back in the day would have been mineral oil or should I use a semi synthetic. I have found a good price on Shell Advance SX4 15w 40 (mineral oil), as I understand the low end of the viscosity range is needed on cold weather which I won't be using the bike in, so will 15 40 rather than 10 40 be ok. What oils do other use?

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions in the coming weeks, will try & post some photos tomorrow.

Thanks  Conrad

Born again SOHC owner

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
as far as the tyres are concerned, have a close look for any cracks or damage. otherwise, they should be fine.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
It depends how hard you intend to ride overtime the rubber goes hard even if they look fine they wont grip or flex as well as new rubber.
I would use 10w40 mineral oil and spend the savings on other goodies. ;)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
Oil, I use Tesco diesel and petrol suitable engine oil on the reccomendation of a forum member, regular changes are more inportant than buying fancy stuff. Some of the more sophisticated oils can cause cluch slip if car orientated.
Tyres - I personally wouldn't hesitate to use any tyres that can pass an mot. If you really push your tyres and bike to the limmits, maybe buy new but that would only be something I would bother with if really thrashing the bike, and if you wanted to do that a 40 year old bike probably wouldn't appeal... the clue as to model will be in the frame number, a few members here would be able to tell you, but I am not one of them, of course you could also quote the frame number to a dealer such as David Silvers when ordering spares and they could tell you. It might make a difference on some bits such as throttle cables, and tail lights, but also many bits may have been changed over the years so nothing is garunteed.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:57:29 PM »
How do I tell which model it is? & from a mechanical point of view does it make any difference when buying spares?
In the first few pages of every part list you'll find the engine- and framenumbers of that particular model: CB500, CB500K1, CB500K2 [A], CB500K2 [ED, F, G]
http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/parts-list/parts-list-cb500
Oil? Back in the day would have been mineral oil or should I use a semi synthetic. I have found a good price on Shell Advance SX4 15w 40 (mineral oil), as I understand the low end of the viscosity range is needed on cold weather which I won't be using the bike in, so will 15 40 rather than 10 40 be ok.

You're right in your assumption, 15W-40 is fine unless you wanna run your bike in freezing conditions. I always have used 15W-40. The SX4 is a good oil. I personally use Castrol High Mileage GTX 15W-40 that does a good job in keeping the rubbers elastic and tight.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »
Hi Conrad, I use comma eurolite 10/40 available from Frodingham motor spares local to us, I have had no problems with clutch slip using it. If your bike is a UK model it will be a K1 as the K2 was never imported here, most things are the same.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
The K1 and K2 are the same bike but, the K0 500 has a different seat cover, seat pan, seat lock, main loom, sub loom, switch gear,. ear's and a smaller reflector.
If the bike has been sitting around on the tyres, they can flat spot and the rubber will go hard.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:14:34 PM »
The K1 and K2 are the same bike

They are not. Actually the K2 sold in European markets (I believe not in UK) differs from the K2 sold in USA and had many things in common with the CB550K2 '76. Most likely his is a K1. Engine- and framenumbers will tell.

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
The eagle has landed, just need to wait for my neighbour to get home to help me get her out of the van. Then I will take some photos & see if I can post them.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will text you Mick then you can come & have a peep if you want.

Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »
Give me frame and engine numbers and if you can details from the vin plate on the RH side of the headstock and i will give you all the info i can

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »
Hi Bryanj,

I have some of the info to hand, I will have a look for the vin plate tomorrow.

Engine No. CB500-E-2153252

Frame No. CB500-2064653

Thanks

Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 08:04:34 PM »
A couple of quick pics as it was raining & I wanted to get her away in the shed

Look at the rear on that !!!!
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »
wow,

that looks great
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
Not mint but very good
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:55 AM »
According to those numbers it should be a UK model K1 Built before 12/74. As a UK model there will be no vin plate and the wheels are aftermarket

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal