Author Topic: clutch free play  (Read 1854 times)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
clutch free play
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »
went for a spin  to Swansea from Gloucester today got to Newport with lovely sunny weather (12ish) then i noticed cars coming the other way with wipers on i thought prats,,,,then boom like a typhoon i was soaked to the skin with in ten mins. 

any way on to the clutch when i left Gloucester i had about 10mm free play at the bars which is how I like it set up. when i got to the bridge (40 miles) it was hard to get into neutral and i had about 20mm free play. whilst driving i adjusted the thingy on the bars back to the 10mm area and all was well. the bottom adjuster was exactly where i had set it.

my question is can a cable outer shrink or the inner stretch? after the adjustment it seems fine but this is the second time i have done this. i now wind back the thingy and adjust the cable at the bottom to take out the free play.

should i get a new OEM clutch cable or could it be the clutch itself?

Billy (puzzled)
Thanks
Billy

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: clutch free play
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »
Pattern cables can vary greatly in quality. On the C90 forum there are dire warnings to ONLY use a genuine parts cable for the front brake. This is because sometimes the spiral outer shrouds are sometimes not accurately wound, so compress like a spring when you pull the brake on, enough to let the lever hit the bars with little actual braking force applied, and the other issue of the inner cable stretching, combined with the outer spiral compressing makes for a frightening braking failiure. People adjust them up when this happens, but as the spiral outer relaxes, it then causes binding on the brake. So YES, buy a genuine cable, you know it will work properly, and not do any of the above, and it isn't that much more expensive than a pattern one.:-o
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
I've learned from experience to put your hand in your pocket and buy genuine cables. Had that much trouble with pattern cables it just isn't worth the wasted effort.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »
ok so Genuine Honda, the only one i can find is for a F1 mine is a K^ will it fit?
Thanks
Billy

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
Provided you're not using high bars, yes.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
no all STD

thanks Hairygit
Thanks
Billy

Offline atlsec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:08 PM »
Hi Billy,
             I have also had this problem recently but with genuine cables . The conclusion I reached was that some of  the clutch  plates were sticking together ,ie not separating fully after standing for some time .Eventually they settled down with use and then the gap remained constant . Just a thought !  Cheers Alan .

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »
well i will adjust once more and see if it happens again. in the meantime i will try to get a genuine cable.
Thanks for the advice.
Billly

Thanks
Billy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal