Author Topic: Twistgrip  (Read 951 times)

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Twistgrip
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
Anyone fitted a quick action twist grip? I find that I'm having to take two grabs to get from idle to full throttle.not a major problem just mildly irritating.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Twistgrip
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »
Bought a 400/4 with one fitted many years ago, a quarter turn from tickover to full throttle, and basically it was crap! Cripplingly heavy to use, tried a lighter spring, but then it wouldn't shut down properly, and always very jerky in action. Also, because of the diameter of the barrel which the cables pull round, it also limited the pull of the front brake, which was downright dangerous! I seem to recall it was made by Tomaselli, and I took it off after a matter of hours. Incidentally it was typical Italian quality, utter garbage!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »
I had one on my 500 in the 70s. It was an aftermarket "Quick action twist grip" designed to make us look like racers...

All it did was increase the diameter of the hand grip so that less twist was required for the same cable movement.

It wasn't very good really...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »
I think I will stay mildly irritated!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »
you very quickly learn to roll the twistgrip using first the palm then fingers to get full throttle opening in 1 smooth action. I never found it irritating and with a sidecar fitted my throttle was fully open a lot of the time.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal