Author Topic: Engine services - Rebore/hone in London?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline ManicGTI

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Engine services - Rebore/hone in London?
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »
As it says really, I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable engine shop in London to rebore/hone CB400F Cyl Block.  I'm based in North/East London (around Islington/Dalston) but work out West in Staines.

I've found loads of places out of town, but there must be somewhere localish I can take it to?

Thanks in advance :)

David

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Engine services - Rebore/hone in London?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
I lived in Hampstead garden suburb and don't recall anyone in London doing reboring.

Offline bytio

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
Who ever you find, make sure you insist on the correct bore-piston clearance most machine shops will make  the bore too large and you will get oil burning issues, it took me 3 re bores to find this out. Don't let them fob you off with what they think is correct, for the CB 750 SOHC it should be 0.0008" (0.02 mm)  I would think same for 400 but check, it. Will save a lot of heart ache. The 3rd REBORE when I insisted on that clearance even issued me a warning notice saying it will seize!  However the bike runs perfectly no oil burn and no seize after 4000. Miles.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:23 PM »
Good luck with finding a shop to do it...  I had one and they kept the parts for 8 months and fucked it up, I found another one, very nice Old Boy,  think I might get it done before Xmas...
Happy to give you number only if you are ready to wait 6months. Can't believe that people can offer such a bad services and still expecting getting paid... Go and find proper shop up north where folks know what they do and do it well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:01:16 AM »

These guys are as good as it gets, not in london but then as you are probably finding out there aint many that are
pete

S.E.P. Kegworth - 39 Sideley Road
Kegworth, Derbyshire, DE74 2FJ
Telephone: 01509 673295
Fax: 01509 673244
Email: info@sep-kegworth.co.uk
Motor and Motorcycle Engineers
High Class Reconditioners

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »
Thank you Pete,
I'm taking my engine as it is now, and definitely going to be visiting S E P I'm so pissed off with London tradesman can't bloody wait to have it done now.
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »
Dave

Back-story: My son did his CBT here: http://avsco.co.uk/ When he visited he told me they had various classics in the workshop so today I popped in on the 400 to have a chat. As an aside they had a customers' K7 and K2 in there (they recently completed an engine rebuild on the K2)

Spoke for ages to Andy who says they have lots of contacts for various services including rebores, paint matching ... they can turn up basic parts themselves on their lathe. He reminded me of Trigger in these ways. Worth giving them a call since they are (fairly) local. Andy has a 400 himself and he has a recently rebuilt engine in the workshop as a spare.

Regarding the valve spring compressor - if you still need it you can pick it up any time.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline ManicGTI

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips and links guys, appreciated!

David

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 04:20:15 PM »
MANICGTI sorry for hijacking thread.
Just wanted to say how brilliant SEP was, quick turnaround and no messing about.
Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Honda CB550F 1976

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal