Author Topic: One job done !!  (Read 3920 times)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
One job done !!
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
Well that's the fuel hose's replaced, tried to do it in situ but you were right mickwinf I had to take the carbs off.

Discovered that two of the air box to carb rubbers had splits in them so that's another few days waiting till a new set arrives. Also noticed that there is no drain hose from the air box this looks to need 12mm bore hose, can anyone confirm this before I order some.

A question for when I come to replace the carbs, should the air box rubbers be attached to the air box or to the carbs before refitting, I ask as it was rather tight getting the carbs out.

Conrad

Born again SOHC owner

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: One job done !!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »
I leave airbox rubbers attached to the airbox, then it is just a matter of pushing the complete airbox onto the carbs, making sure the securing clips are in place and slacked right off.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
I have done this over a hundred time and found the best way is to remove the 2, 6mm bolts from the stays that hold the air box. This will give you a extra inch to play with. Put the carbs on to the air box rubber and get someone to hold them in place, while you make them a cupper. Poor the rest of the boiling water into a container and drop the inlet manifold rubbers in for a minute until soft. They will now go on a lot easier  ;)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:49:56 PM »
New air box rubbers arrived today, so out after tea & got the carbs refitted, tank on & crossed fingers. Tank off again & reconnect throttle cables (more haste less speed) fingers crossed again, choke on press of the starter & she burst into life, bit rough also a bit smokey especially on the left hand cylinder, also discovered that at anything less that 2000 rpm the oil light comes on.

So packed in for the night to have a think. I have a new pressure switch so I guess that's first thing to try & perhaps remove & inspect the pump. Did think that the oil smoke got better as it ran briefly so that may settle but need to get to the bottom of the apparent lack of oil pressure. Hope this doesn't end in a full strip.
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:32:45 AM »
What exact model is it? In all the years i been at these i have only ever seen 1 shot crank

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:12:08 PM »
CB500 four K1

Done about 41000
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:13:46 PM by corromant »
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:14 PM »
If the bike has been really hammered with badly adjusted carbs it is possible for the primary chain to damage the main oil galleries enough to ruin everything, you can tell by removing the sump pan and feeling the casting with a finger, normaly the oil pressure switch is at fault

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »
Spot on Bryanj, new pressure switch fitted & that seems to be one problem sorted, while the sprocket cover is off I'll see if I can get the neutral switch to work.

It would appear that I also need a new clutch rod as well as mine is in at least 2 pieces, after a bit of research on here I've just ordered some 8mm silver steel to make a new one. Is there a steel ball at the end or is that another bodge?

Just found the answer to my query about the steel ball while studying an exploded diagram.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:32:42 PM by corromant »
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:45:49 PM »
Spot on Bryanj, new pressure switch fitted & that seems to be one problem sorted, while the sprocket cover is off I'll see if I can get the neutral switch to work.

It would appear that I also need a new clutch rod as well as mine is in at least 2 pieces, after a bit of research on here I've just ordered some 8mm silver steel to make a new one. Is there a steel ball at the end or is that another bodge?

Just found the answer to my query about the steel ball while studying an exploded diagram.

I sell the push rod for the 500 which is the right diameter and length with the ends machined.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:28:24 AM »
I have some NOS neutral switchs but they were not cheap

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:51:43 AM »
If I haven't already ordered the silver steel I would have had a rod from you Trigger.

Bryanj if I can't get the switch working I will contact you.
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »
Do not take any measurements from the old rod as this is already worn, the hard bit of making the rod is to get the ends correct. The ball bearing needs to be a nice fit or the rod will wear it flat. As the rod pushes the mushroom it turns and needs to fit correct in the mushroom  ;)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
From what I have read one end of the rod needs to be domed & the other flat, is this correct?
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
From what I have read one end of the rod needs to be domed & the other flat, is this correct?

There is a lot of false info on these rods as a lot of the measurements were taken from worn rods. It is domed to fit the mushroom and the other end is bowled/dished so that the ball bearing fits  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
Save yourself the grief and just buy one off Trigger. The silver steel will come in for something else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal