Author Topic: Tank and panel painting  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Tank and panel painting
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
Hi all,

I've had my tank and side panels painted and thought I'd share the result. (see attachments for before/after photos - these are before flattening and polishing)

The colour I went with is Honda R81 Milano Red (Light Shade as the normal shade looked a little dark to me sampled)

Thanks, Ryan.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Tank and panel painting
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »
Looking good Ryan... be sure to post the finished product. I'm basically in Hampshire (Basingstoke) - where did you get it done?

A BIG word of caution. I had a beautiful paint job done on my 400F bits, and like your tank, the Yellow was taken right the way up the filler cap. Within 60 miles petrol had wicked under the paint & down the sides... amazing because the top lacquer was bone dry.

So, the tank's be re-done, with the yellow only 1/2 up the filler, thence fuel resistant lacquer the last 1/4 inch.

Take care!
Simon

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
Hi,
    Paint/petrol trouble around the filler cap is often caused by the paint being applied over the top seal area of the fillingpoint, much better to mask off 6-8mm below the seal area and leave that area as bare metal for the sealing ring-Ken
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 07:40:05 PM »
Definitely worth masking the sides of the filler spout and then wet/dry sand the top face of the spout back to bare metal. Then apply lacquer finish or leave unfinished / lightly oiled / greased..

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
I had it done by a family member who sprays cars normally - I know several panel sprayers and all of them seem to love to get their hands on motorcycle stuff? interesting/beautiful to finish job apparently :) - I'm in fareham

Ok well thanks for the heads up, I'll rub the sealing face back in that case. Any tips on what to seal the paint edge with?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:23:17 AM by Binman180 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal