SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Holes in the fuel tank

<< < (2/9) > >>

mike the bike:
I just don't want you wasting your time brazing, welding or filling holes.

csd4t:
I have used some epoxy type stuff (not sure of the name) to plug a leak on a fuel tank and then done all practice week and 2 x 3lap sidecar races at the Isle of Man without a problem, and thats with 45 litres on board.

mike the bike:
No matter how many holes you plug up there's always another one, and you still get fuel starvation from the rust blocking the filter.   Been there, done that.....

Green1:

--- Quote from: mike the bike on August 10, 2015, 12:27:48 PM ---No matter how many holes you plug up there's always another one, and you still get fuel starvation from the rust blocking the filter.   Been there, done that.....

--- End quote ---

Same here you think its sorted then months later your lovely new paintwork is fucked  :-[ were its sprung another leak.

Mick

captaink:
I have been there with restorations , in the end I have had the tank shot blasted then you can see the real extent of the holes, these can be brazed and after checking with a gallon of white spirit (not water) that there's no leaks use a tank sealer kit say from frosts restoration or similar.
After that have the tank painted. Nothing worse than fuel leaking when your out on a run somewhere.
No real cheap fix.
Either that or find a new tank somewhere
Good luck....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version