Author Topic: Clutch woes  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
Clutch woes
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
Been posting here a lot recently, not off to a good start with this bike :(

I have a 78 CB550K, it was riding fine but leaking oil from the clutch cover so I removed the cover to replace the gasket.

Being new to the bike and still learning i undid the locknut and played with the adjuster screw on the clutch cover before i removed the cover itself, thinking it was attached to the bike some how.

Anyway, replaced the gasket and put the cover back on, adjusted the screw as-per what ive read online on how to adjust them. People keep saying to turn the screw CLOCKWISE to move the pivot/closer to the pin in the centre on the clutch. However on mine  at least, you screw the adjuster C-CLOCKWISE (left), to wind the lower part of the pivot towards the clutch and engagement with the pin in the centre of the clutch (sound about right?)

Anyway, with the cable disconnected, i adjusted the screw c-clockwise until it went solid (pivot hard up against the centre pin i think?), then backed it off a touch. The notches on the outside of the case roughly line up. With the cable connected, the clutch lever is so hard to pull now, and when you pull it in something gives underneath the clutch cover and the arm goes completely slack.

Turns out the lobe which lifts the top end of the pivot is jumping out from behind:

Why is this happening?! The only reason i can think is the clutch is somehow siezed now? Meaning theres no give in the clutch so the pivot doesnt move and the lobe hops out from behind it? I'm not sure

This is so frustrating, all i did was change the gasket, and tweak the adjuster screw and now this. I dont think/i cant see how im adjusting it incorrectly? The screw on the bottom on the clutch cover literally moves the pivot closer to the pin to disengage the clutch ?

To top it off, just trying to get it working, i pulled the lever and heard a nasty noise...

.......so if anyone has a spare clutch cover they are willing to part with, that'd be ideal. Its this type:

Please help, before i lose any interest in this thing.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch woes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline Hudson.

• View Profile
Re: Clutch woes
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »
Thanks Graham! That sorts the replacement cover, any ideas on the adjustment issues im having?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal