Author Topic: CB550 HID headlamp conversion  (Read 8021 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 HID headlamp conversion
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
I have a 7" H4   60/55w halogen light,

its pretty good,

the 500 is supposed to have a 200watt altenator at 5,000rpm,

so guessing side lights,speedo/tacho etc and ignition will only get to about 100watt max,so it should be ok,
unless you spend lots of time in city traffic
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 06:57:30 AM »
My 500 has been with me since 1980 and always had the 55/60 Watts halogen. The Philips X-treme vision or Motovision is stunningly good and leaves nothing to be desired. If you're really worried about charging (you shouldn't) you could choose the Philips Ecovision that has the performance of a very good 55/60 Watts halogen but draws 20% less. Philips always came out best in tests. Recommended.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
The 400four headlamp shells only accept a certain shape of bulb, not available in 55/60W.  There's a thread about this already;

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=109485.0
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
My 500 has been with me since 1980 and always had the 55/60 Watts halogen. The Philips X-treme vision or Motovision is stunningly good and leaves nothing to be desired. If you're really worried about charging (you shouldn't) you could choose the Philips Ecovision that has the performance of a very good 55/60 Watts halogen but draws 20% less. Philips always came out best in tests. Recommended.
Thanks for info, I wonder if you have original head lamp?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »
Actually I don't know. The reflector fitted in my (original) headlight case is a Hella, that I've replaced by the same type 20 years ago. It is cheap and still available. It's the same reflector that was on the early VW Golf models. What I like, is that the lens is flat. Don't worry about the charging performance of the 500/550. Complaints are mostly with Americans that use their motorcycle as a moped to move from one traffic light to the next one and are afraid to go over 3000 rpm. I remember the 550K3 in our part of the world came standard with a 55/60 Watts halogen.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
In some European countries like Holland and Germany later 500/550 models came standard with the H4 55/60 Watts. Sometimes the change was done by the importers. The H4 for the CB500-550K3/K4 is shown in the parts list on p.44 (#17) however. http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac500-550/CB500-550_K3-K4.pdf It's a Philips H4 btw and if you wonder why the models with area code F (France) had a different partsnumber, in those days a yellow headlight was still the norm in France. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:29:18 PM by deltarider »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
I think my 500 and 550 have h4 halogens, not a clue as to wattage, I think 45/60 - the only times I have had issues were with a dodgy altinator running only 2 of 3 windings and when I ran a brighter sidelight ( I actually ran a bates headlight with a 35 / 40 w or somit like it) on the sidecar, it really couldn't cope, after 30 miles it would conk out unless I switched the lights out. On both bikes I was able to wing it home with lights mostly off and just putting them on when I saw oncomming headlights - a benefit to living in the middle of nowhere. I took to carrying a jump start pack in the sidecar so I could keep going running off the boost of the jump pack, then I started bunging a car battery in the chair, even only running 2 coils that would do a week of running before needing a charge. Running a standard bike I think the system is at near on max with a 55w light, heated grips on mine caused issues if you had to run under 60mph for any length of time.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »
Although the output is certainly not overwhelming there's plenty juice for normal riding and some extra's.
Since decades the little PA slideswitch (to give lightsignals) on mine is lame. I always ride with headlight low beam on. The number of times that I discovered (for example when entering a tunnel and seeing the blue high beam idiot light on) that the slide switch must have accidentily slided in the on position causing both the low (55Watts) and high (60 Watts) filament in the H4 to be on... Yet I never had a depleted battery.
Now heated grips is another story.

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:13 AM »
Instead of the problems of the Honda 400/4 parking light can we focus on HID for the 550 which was the original question?

The issue is the draw on the alternator and I understood that the HID had LESS draw on than the standard halogen (which my the way on my K3 is not at all bad).

The problem is that with electronic ignition and the headlight on my battery is slowly discharging unless I'm tearing along, hence I need to know if HID is effective as a means of lighting the road ahead.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 07:31:27 AM »
What's surprising though is that if the later 550s came with H4 bulbs and these would normally be 55/60w bulbs why wasn't the alternator uprated to accommodate the extra wattage.
Because there was no need to. There was no issue. OK, the US CB550 models didn't have 55/60 but did have (silly) extra running lights in the front indicators adding at least 10 Watts more consumption. I've been riding my 500 (supposed to deliver 200 Watts @ 5000 rpm) with a 55/60 Watts halogen since I bought the bike in 1980 (it was already fitted and everybody has them here) and I have always returned from trips with the battery well charged. In fact the two Yuasa batteries I had, have each lived 6 and a half years, be it that the last six months I had to use the kickstarter. With cheaper batteries I've always managed 4-5 years.
The problem is that with electronic ignition and the headlight on my battery is slowly discharging unless I'm tearing along, hence I need to know if HID is effective as a means of lighting the road ahead.
What electronic ignition is that? Have you measured how many amps go to your electronic ignition?
If I were you, I'd look for the Philips Ecovision, a H4 that perfoms like a 55/60 halogen with 20% less draw. Excellent halogen light and with 44/48 Watts consumption it's a relative cheap solution.
So far I've read nothing that has convinced me of 'advantages' of HID and I find Led lights disappointing. Brightness is not the same as good usable light on the road in front of you.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:28:58 AM by deltarider »

Offline s7paul

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
I thought that the main issue with HIDs is that you only get the correct blend of power and beam pattern with OE installations, because the reflector shape is designed to work with HIDs.  Putting HIDs into a reflector designed for conventional bulbs means that you get the brightness, but the beam pattern will probably be wrong.  I just put an aftermarket 60/55 halogen unit in my standard headlamp shell, and it works very well.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
I thought that the main issue with HIDs is that you only get the correct blend of power and beam pattern with OE installations, because the reflector shape is designed to work with HIDs.  Putting HIDs into a reflector designed for conventional bulbs means that you get the brightness, but the beam pattern will probably be wrong.

That's also my understanding.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
Dont know about bikes but i have been told that HID's in cars have to be automatic dip

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
I've seen positive reviews for the Truck Lite 27270C LED headlight, which could be an alternative, but they aren't cheap.
It sounds to me that there may be an underlying charging problem, inappropriate coils, duff battery, and/or a sedate definition of tearing along :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal