Author Topic: Another "newbie" drops in....  (Read 2353 times)

uk_kev

Another "newbie" drops in....
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:20:11 PM »
Hey I thought I would just say hi, as I am a newbie here, I currently have a 1978 CB750-K7, that I bought in a very poor state, this is my first Honda, and I am in the process of a running resto, not a full blown show job, just a clean on the street type fix up.

So here she is.......

I am also restoring a 72 Bonnie as well, and you can see some of my other bike pictures both past and present here..

http://www.pbase.com/uk_kev/my_bikes&page=1

uk_kev

Re:Another "newbie" drops in....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:47:09 PM »
I forgot to add, the underside of this bike is in a bad way from lack of cleaning and salted London roads, so the centre stand is a real bitch to use, if you get her up on the stand, it is a mare to try to get her off again, is this a common problem?

When I bought her I was told she was rideable, so I took my gear on the train to London, ready to ride her home on a Sunday morning, well it was like this, there was no fluid in the forks, one fork had it's drain screw snapped off letting the fluid go onto the brake disk rotor, the front brake was useless due in part to the fork fluid and the fact that the brake arm assembly was all seized solid. I still rode her home though, although it was a challenge I would rather not repeat.
I have had to rebuild all the forks, and replace/rebuild the whole front brake assembly including master cylinder, the shocks have also been renewed as the originals had rusted out, and a new seat cover has been fitted. I have also fitted new coils and a complete points assembly, so she starts and runs like a swiss watch.
The motor could do with some cosmetic work, as the chrome is lifting from the rocker cover, and alternator cover, so she looks a little scruffy as you can see here....

jimshea

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »
Kev,
Welcome.
You're a brave man to ride the bike home? Which part of the UK are you from?
I have not heard of the centre stand problem, but if it is rusted it would be a bugger to use!
I looked at your bike link, there are some nice bikes you've had. Are you a pro mechanic or just a keen amateur?
Good luck with the resto.
Jim.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:15:58 AM »
Hello Kev.
That's a nice Z11 you've got there.
And the Z650 in Real Classic mag is yours as well?
If you are around London there is someone that you have to meet! (Jim knows him too)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

uk_kev

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »
Hey thanks for the comments, I am Reading area based, the Z650 was mine I sold it just after the photo shoot, when I bought the Honda, the Tiger 100 has also gone now to make way for the 72 Bonnie I am trying to rebuild, as for being a mechanic, no far from it, I am just a bike rider who like nice old bikes, it may not be obvious from the pictures but I do all my work outside in the street, as I have no garage or garden, as you will see the Bonnie is in my Kitchen at the moment:unsure: :woohoo:
Oh well you do what you can.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
Reading area eh?  Good.  Give me a call 07802-307696

Steve Dennis (Wokingham)
Also VFR800 Fi-1 and Rickman CR750 (Eamon's)

Jim Shea is in Camberley (but he's just sold his F1 for a BMW so I'll understand if you don't want to speak to him...)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal