Author Topic: Ultrasonic bath Solution  (Read 4956 times)

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
Ultrasonic bath Solution
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
Hi All its been a while since I posted here !!

Just need some help regarding on what cleaning solution would be ideal to use to clean my carbs in the Ultrasonic bath ?

I have just bought a 6.5 l bath and its my first time trying this out !!  8)

Cheers !!

Offline archmill

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic bath Solution
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »
I use dishwasher LIQUID in mine.

It removes oil and grease along with the usual grime and it's cheap.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
I use dishwasher LIQUID in mine.

It removes oil and grease along with the usual grime and it's cheap.
Beware of this on carbs because you can get discolouring of the alloy in my experience. However, the 3 we have at work, we have always used a squirt of washing up liquid in but that's for stainless steel parts.

I think the 'proper' stuff contains anionic surfactants. It's well overpriced from some companies though IMHO, particularly 'Ultrawave', who make the cleaner I have at home.

http://www.ultrawave.co.uk/ultraclean-sa.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:24:42 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
Here's what we use in the labs where alkaline cleaners would attack some metals.

http://www.decon.co.uk/english/neutracon.asp

For cleaning carbs particularly where there is varnish I have found the methylated spirit found in hardware stores will help break it down. Place the carb in a beaker and fill it with meths. Float or stand this in the ultrasonic bath filled with warm water.

****Do it outside***!!!!

It may take a few sessions but eventually the varnish will turn to a powdery depost that can easily be brushed off or dislodged by repeated sessions in the bath.

Don't use washing up liquid on monkey metal because it has salt in it and this can get into the pores and lead to white deposits further down the line unless you leach it all out.

DJW

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Many thanks for all detailed replies!! Will have to see now what I will manage to sort Locally here in Malta of these products!!

Thanks for the help :)

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
This is a before and after of a pair of alloy throttle bodies cleaned using only dishwasher liquid in my ultrasonic cleaner.

I have never noticed any discolouration on alloy using dishwasher liquid but it may depend on the specific product used.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »
Impressive resuilt that! I've always used specific carb cleaner fluid but i'm unsure if it's any better that diluted flash. Maybe if you reveal which dishwasher fluid you used and the tempreture I'll give that a go.

With regard to the jets and other small parts I wire them on the basket rather than just drop them into the tank and rattle around. That seems to produce a better resuilt. Paint thinners removes varnish quickly prior to ultra sonic cleaning

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »
Finish Classic Liquid at 50 Celsius (that's as high as my tank will go).

I hope this thread doesn't deteriorate into a discussion of the merits of different dishwasher detergents.

I use the ultrasonic bath first then use cellulose thinners (or carb cleaner but it's more expensive) to remove any petrol residues remaining but to be honest they don't usually need further treatment.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:47:15 PM by gtmdriver »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
Anyone tried screen wash ?

Offline archmill

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »
Here's mine before and after using US carb cleaning fluid from Allandale

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
This is a CB350K carb cleaned with the Allendale stuff. Note that this and Archmills retains the multi coloured sheen as original. If you use someting slightly alkaline or with salt in it (i.e washing up liquid but not necesarily dishwasher stuff) I find it loses the coloured sheen.  No before and after but its's a 1969 carb so you can imagine what it looked like before cleaning. The key to the correct stuff is it will contain 'ionic and non-ionic surfactants'. I believe that some dishwasher products contain this but not sure what else they also contain.

US cleaning will not remove white deposits inside from water damage ect. It's not the be all and end all of carb refurbishing. You need abrasive blasting IMHO for some parts.

Some really useful info on here:-

http://cb750carbs.com/

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/ultrasonic_carburetor_cleaning_v7.swf

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:56:47 PM by AshimotoK0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal