Author Topic: drum liner  (Read 2110 times)

Offline dellenty1234

• View Profile
drum liner
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Out of interest, am I able to purchase a new brake drum liner for a 77' 550k?

Thanks
Take it apart anyway he says.....

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: drum liner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »
No, they were cast in situ. There are firms out there that reline them, several members on here have had it done at various places. I have heard some firms machine Morris Minor drums to fit!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
Be carefull of just buying morris minor drums, I eagerly stripped one in a scrappers only to find it was several inches too small, luckily before buying but after wasting my time removing a mangled wheel which wasn't willing to come easily. Classic mini do fit - again beware in case sizes vary accross the years. It is a moderately time consuming job depending on how your lathe copes etc. I took long enough to think that the chap in Huddersfield who does the job for £40 or so is welcome to do it for others I will still do my own though.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:23:38 PM »
Matthew, you wouldn't have contact details to that chap who does replace drum liners, Iim in need of liner replacement...
Cheers

Be carefull of just buying morris minor drums, I eagerly stripped one in a scrappers only to find it was several inches too small, luckily before buying but after wasting my time removing a mangled wheel which wasn't willing to come easily. Classic mini do fit - again beware in case sizes vary accross the years. It is a moderately time consuming job depending on how your lathe copes etc. I took long enough to think that the chap in Huddersfield who does the job for £40 or so is welcome to do it for others I will still do my own though.
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:30:51 AM »
Paul Jackson Huddersfield near Junction 23 M62

01422 378100

Don't be in a rush at it takes time to find the correct piece of cast iron pipe to make the liner from and he can do it with the complete wheel, just take tyre off!

If he still does them

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
Thanks!

Paul Jackson Huddersfield near Junction 23 M62

01422 378100

Don't be in a rush at it takes time to find the correct piece of cast iron pipe to make the liner from and he can do it with the complete wheel, just take tyre off!

If he still does them
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal