Author Topic: My mate wants a CB500F if anyone has one for sale.  (Read 5214 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
My mate wants a CB500F if anyone has one for sale.
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
Good mate of mine in York who got  me a deal on my very first 400/4 back in '78 and put me onto the purchase of my CB750K0 before dodgy dealers got their mits on it , is looking for a CB500/4 to build up for classic sprinting. So decent engine, not so bothered about the chrome.

He's off to DK tomorrow to pick up a trials bike engine so I told him to ask them, but don't see anything they have on eBay at the moment. James's bikes are a bit too good for his needs, obviously.

Cheers ... Ash

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:38:35 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: My mate wants a CB500F if anyone has one for sale.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »
Sorry Ash, off on a tangent. DK had a TL250, would your man be able to cast an eye over it????

eBay item number:371441384580

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:29:12 AM »
Sorry Ash, off on a tangent. DK had a TL250, would your man be able to cast an eye over it????

Tim

I will text him Tim... cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
Might be able to find some bits to assemble, depends just how much he needs, also see recent post from man in nottingham

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »
Might be able to find some bits to assemble, depends just how much he needs, also see recent post from man in nottingham

Cheers Bryan  ... will be in touch soon on the phone re: your wheelbuilding tips!

Ash

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:28:49 AM »
No problem Ash, away for a week starting 14th Nov if its that late!!! Link below to post on 500K1 bits:-

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=8973.msg61270;topicseen#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »

Tim

My mate is at DK now and says this about the TL250...tank rough ..mudguards rough, rest looks OK.

hope that helps.

He says they have 3 x CB500/550's but all seized and very rough.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »
Due to my dire financial situation I do have spare cb550 engines to sell, either as kits - eg come and pick though a selection of used bits and fill a box with a selection of good used bits to build a good motor - ideal if you intend fitting new cam and primary chains. Alternatively I can pick out an engine that turns over nicely and set it up on the bench so as it can be seen running. Looking for around £225 for an engine as that is what the good uns owe me, I have had cheaper off ebay but it has been a case of you get what you pay for and some of the diy repairs I have ended up with mean that 3 engines have only rendered up bits to make 1 decent example. This might just widen the options.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »
Thanks to your mate Ash re Tl250 info. Much appreciated.

Never been to DK but must do sometime as only an hour away.

Thanks again, Tim

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
Thanks to your mate Ash re Tl250 info. Much appreciated.

Never been to DK but must do sometime as only an hour away.

Thanks again, Tim

No Problem. They had a ratty CB500/4 for a grand, he was going to buy it but at the last minute they dragged it off to break it up instead. Then he spotted a nice CB350/4 with a tag of £1850, he thought that was the price but evidently that was the eBay start price so they asked him for 2.5 k instead. He had gone to pick up an engine but was peed with their 'couldn't care' less attitude. Having said that, my dealings, when I went there have been  great and they couldn't help me enough. I think there was a relief guy in there covering holidays absence as Mark and Neil have always been fine.
Go to Derbyshire quite often to a place called Birchover not far from Bakewell.

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:51:01 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
In Birchover Wednesday this week seeing customer. Do you have friends or family there? Sleepy village but a lot of new houses going up at the top end that may change all that!

Let me know when you are next up and pop into the shop for a brew.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
In Birchover Wednesday this week seeing customer. Do you have friends or family there? Sleepy village but a lot of new houses going up at the top end that may change all that!

Let me know when you are next up and pop into the shop for a brew.

It's my brother in laws cottage at the top end (EagleTor) other end to the campsite. Yes I noticed the new build houses when I went to the festival at the campsite, last time I was there.. always eat now at the Farmyarn Inn at Youlgeave .. nice landlady and grub there. Do you have a shop??

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Yes curtain and upholstery fabric shop "Fabric Solutions" on A6 just as you come into Bakewell.

Know the Farmyard. Curtained it some years back when 2 ladies ran it. Think no longer there. The Druids in Birchover has a good reputation for food although never tried it.

Tim

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »
Ash, how much does he want to pay for a 500/4?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
Ash, how much does he want to pay for a 500/4?

Not sure ..will ask..  He's looking for a complete bike (not in bits)  with decent engine, not too bothered about the chrome. Evidently it has to be a 500 though not 550 as there is a cc  limit evidently on classic sprinting. Personally, I know nothing about 'classic sprinting' ..it's a new one on me. I was only aware of the classic racing scene because it's hiked the price of CB350k twin engines (that's why DK sell them for minimum 350 GBP 'unknown condition, usually seized' with the alternator etc stripped off).

BTW does anyone know where the name 'Drixton' comes from , the CB450 twin  DOHC race guys are always referring to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal